Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display adapter missing in device manager

• Please log in to reply

tilburyre

tilburyre

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Following multiple problems which involved a reload of XP followed by SP2 I am now relatively back to normal.

Hove the system appears not to see my display adapter which I suspect is the cause of a very sluggish display - especially noticeable in scrolling through a large worksheet.

Display adapter does not show up under device manager. Add new hardware scans for display adapters but does not give any way of installing one.

How do I get the system to see it again?

(I was infected with a few things but have run all the stuff under 'if you suspect malware' - and some other scanners - and the system is now clean.

thanks in advance

Roger

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi tilburyre, welcome to Geeks to Go! What kind of video card is it? Do you have the driver for it? Have you tried installing the driver? I am sure we can help but need a little more information to go on.

If you are not sure you can go to Belarc Advisor and it will tell you all about your system: http://www.belarc.com/

tilburyre

tilburyre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Austin

It's an ATI All-in-Wonder 9800.

It's firmly in its slot and the fan is spinning.

Attempts to load the latest drivers from the website result in the install failing with 'could not complete installation'.

Attempts to add new hardware | have disk | browse to original .inf file as found in the registry fail because only the RAGE drivers are shown.

The strange thing is that an attempt to add a display driver on this working system which has an ATI Radeon 9200 (obviously I'd quit at the appropriate time) fail in exactly the same way; only the RAGE drivers are shown.

In both cases lists of the .inf file show the All-in-wonder and the Radeon data to be present in the file.

I am probably doing something so stupid that nobody has even considered it.

cheers

Roger

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is something I found in a forum when I had video driver problems. First, you need to get driver cleaner at http://www.drivercleaner.net/ Then go to add/remove programs and delete the driver for your video card. Then boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the new driver.

tilburyre

tilburyre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Austin - I'll give that a try.

cheers

Roger