Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Microsoft Outlook Out of office reply loop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone i'm fairly new to the site but I require some assistance. At work we have two computers both installed with microsoft Outlook Express 6. Both of these systems have access to the same email address (lets call it email 1) with one of them also having a seperate email address set up for my boss (email 2).

My boss has recently gone on holiday and therefore set up an out of office reply for all messages coming to his email account (email 2).

Earlier today I sent out a mass email to 19,000+ people and as expected got returned around 500 various replies from others who have set up out of office replies, or invalid email addresses. All of these get returned to email 1 on both computers and were quickly removed completely.

What I feel has happened though is that the out of office reply on email 2 seems to be sending its auto reply out to all the other auto replies of the emails which are coming in which in turn send out an auto reply just to receive an auto reply from email 2 etc etc.

What can I do to stop this other then taking off the out of office reply for my bosses email address (since for obvious reasons he needs this)?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With regards to the auto reply on the second email, if you have issues with it, just turn it off. The emails will still be there when your boss gets back. If your boss was really waiting on anything super important, either he'd have not gone at all, delegated the issue as pending or found a cybercafe somewhere on holiday. The fact an auto-reply is being used simply says he's not expecting anything important.