Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting ".xlsx" to run in excel?

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok like the title states I am tring to get an xlsx document to open in excel 2010.

Let me start from the begining I try'd downlaoding the compatiblity pack thing so older versions can open those types of files but that did not work, so I figured I would just need to update to the newest version of excel since I was using like excel2000 before.

So now when I try to open the document in Excel 2010 I get an error message and it is as follows.

Posted Image

So I was just looking for help in getting this format of document to open in excel.
Any and All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Edited by Keman, 07 July 2010 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do other Excel files open?
If so I'd argue there's an issue with that particular file. It's most likely corrupt.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
To be noted the computer is running XP for the OS wether or not it matters, and yes other "regular" excel docs work fine but this is the only "xlsx" file that I have to try at the moment. =\

Edit: Ok well I just recived another xlsx document and it said the same thing when I tried to open that one.

So I saved it to the Desktop and one of the many things I tired was creating a shortcut to excel 2010 on the destop and droping the saved xlsx file onto the shortcut, and low and behold it opened it.

It still wont open when just clicked on but when droped onto the shortcut it will. I don't know what would cause that but atleast it works for the time being.

I would still like to have the problem fixed if possible though.

Edited by Keman, 08 July 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It looks to me as if something has gone wrong in your registry such that the file association for .Xlsx is set to try to run the file rather than open it with Excel. For most file types it is possible to change the association by right clicking on the file and selecting Open With. However that doesn't work by default on program (bat, com, or exe) files so the XLSX association could also be blocked. If that fails you might possibly have to remove the association by editing the registry directly before recreating it.

NOTE: Editing the registry is an innately hazardous process. Before you even consider it make a complete registry backup with erunt.

I believe that the association in question would be found in HKCR/.xlsx

Edited by Ehsanit, 22 September 2010 - 12:57 PM.