Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway FX 6000, turns off/on byself continously.

• Please log in to reply

erinoly

erinoly

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer has been working fine until today. I was on the internet for about an hour when the computer shut off, which has never happened before. I thought the power went out, but it hadnt. The tower is plugged into a powerstrip. Computer turned back on by itself, then off, then on, then off. This pattern would repeat until I unplugged it. Sometimes computer will remain on for up to two min and sometimes it turns off immediately. Cant launch system restore, because comp wont stay on long enough. Have restore discs, but cant use, again, because computer turns off before completing.
Can sometimes get to safe mode screen, BIOS, but totally unsure of what to to to fix this.

I have AVG virus protection and Vista operating. I have never had a problem with this computer.

Computer is 16 months old Gateway FX 6000.

I opened the case and dusted the fans. What else should I do?

Thanks, Erin

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
When there are no error beeps from the BIOS during startup it could mean overheating, and in turn this could be caused by a cooling fan that has failed or stops shortly after starting. With care, turn on the system with one side of the casing removed and pay particular attention to all the cooling fans but DON'T go poking about in there with the power on!

The PSU fan also needs checking to confirm that it's spinning and doesn't stop spinning. This is less easy to inspect but you can usually tell by looking through it's grill at the back, adjacent to the power input.

erinoly

erinoly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, both fans come on, I can hear them. There was nothing out of the ordinary soundwise. Will try to check out PSU. Thank You so much.

erinoly

erinoly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually all 4 fans come on. Stay on entire time computer is on. There is a little green light inside the computer, that comes on as well, that light stays on the whole time, even when the computer is restarting. The green light on one of the boards only turns off when I unplug the tower. There is only one beep, the one that sounds everytime I turn on the computer.

Today I reset BIOS to original settings. I also checked the temp in BIOS and it was 107F and 83F. I got the computer to stay on long enough that my desktop screen showed up, but it turned off before I could do a system restore or backup any of my files.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I also checked, this is the Gateway 6800 not the 6000 like I thought.

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Try these steps to make sure there`s no problem with the pwoer button or any ping that might awake ur computer (wake up on lan ping). But because u`ve said that you`ve reset ur bios settings, then that shouldn`t happen. Sometimes these things can happen, if you`ve been pressing the power button many times, the upper part of the button might touch the lower part (it`s a temporrary switch). If that``s the case and you don`t want to change the case, then replace the connector form the power button with the reset button and keep the power button disabled).

erinoly

erinoly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ill check out the power button...thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

On my Mobo the positive + wire on the front panel header must be connected to the right pin. So I would check them first.

Another way to test your case buttons.

Always switch of at the wall plug before doing anything inside your case.

On the Mobo front panel header, disconnect the 2 pin power connector.
switch on power to the computer.
with a small bladed screwdriver, short out the 2 power pins on the front panel header.

Your computer should start and keep going.

If it shuts down. Remove the 2 pin reset connector and short out the power pins again.

If the problem still persists, it is not the case switches.

erinoly

erinoly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks everyone, I cant figure it out.

Going to have to take it to the shop.

Acererak

Acererak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The 450w FSP Group PSU that came with your computer is garbage, dust will distroy it. Invest in a 500w power supply and you should be fine.

Improvisatore

Improvisatore

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the FX6000 also. I have had it for a few years now. I cleaned the fans monthly, and have never had a problem, until now. Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes in WOW and it shuts off. Doesn't matter if I clean it now. The power source box is always hot and I can feel the heat at the back, but again, only when I play a game. It works fine for anything else.

I have seen the 500w psu units, but have no idea which one to get, or how to replace it. Is this an easy process? Could I do this myself, and what sort unit do I need to buy? Or should I just take it to decent computer shop, and have them do it?

Any wisdom appreciated...

Improvisatore.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have the FX6000 also. I have had it for a few years now. I cleaned the fans monthly, and have never had a problem, until now. Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes in WOW and it shuts off. Doesn't matter if I clean it now. The power source box is always hot and I can feel the heat at the back, but again, only when I play a game. It works fine for anything else.

I have seen the 500w psu units, but have no idea which one to get, or how to replace it. Is this an easy process? Could I do this myself, and what sort unit do I need to buy? Or should I just take it to decent computer shop, and have them do it?

Any wisdom appreciated...

Improvisatore.

Hi.

We will try to help. I would start your own topic as you may have a completely different issue with you computer.