Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to boot from CD-Rom?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Currently have an old Dell computer (built when Windows ME was the OS). The BIOS does have an option to boot from the ATAPI CD-ROM, but it does not work when I attempt to boot with a bootable CD. So what do I need to be able to boot from my cd-rom?

My first thought is my cd-rom drive doesn't support boot from cd, is this right? If this is correct then I'll need to buy a new internal/external cd-rom that support boot from cd?

Thanks

Edited by Loading..., 10 July 2010 - 01:17 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Loading... :)
You need to go into BIOS and change the boot order so that it boots from the CD first.
As it is an older system it will have a floppy drive I imagine, usually this would be
the first boot option, simply change it to CD drive make sure you save settings and exit.
Place your boot disk in the CD drive and restart your computer, it should now boot from
the CD.
Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the ME,XP,Vista or Win 7 cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2010 - 05:47 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I already know how to change the boot order in the BIOS :) . I've booted from the CD-ROM many times before on other computers successfully.

The problem with this computer is after I change to boot order (ATAPI CD-ROM first), save and reboot, it still does not boot from the CD. So what could be the problem? :)

I booted with the same WindowsXP CD on my other computer without any issue, so I don't think it's a problem with the CD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The CD drive may have failed, need cleaning or the drivers may be missing, try the below;

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The CD drive may have failed, need cleaning or the drivers may be missing, try the below;

I don't think that is the problem because except for the booting problem, the CD-ROM works perfectly when carrying out normal tasks (installing programs, reading data on CD's, etc.). I also reformat and reinstall Windows on a monthly basics (using Windows boot floppy's) with the same bootable-CD without any issue.

"Information is the key to solving problems" so let me do my part by giving more details :)

In my BIOS, I have these boot order options: Floppy, ARMD-FDD, ARMD-HDD, IDE-HDD, & ATAPI CD-ROM. I have my Hard Drive set as the Master Primary while the CD-ROM (Lite-On LTN486 48x Max) set as the Master Secondary. When choosing ATAPI CD-ROM as the only boot option (disabling the others), I can hear the CD spinning in the drive and the loading light enables, but I get this message:

Invalid Boot Diskette
Insert BOOT Diskette in A:

Pressing any key will repeat the same message and action. The CD I'm using is a Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation CD (this is the only bootable CD I currently have).

After googling a bit, I found this thread: http://www.geekstogo...-XP-t50055.html

The problem in that thread in almost identical to my problem (except for the user using burned copy of Windows XP). So I dunno what the problem is. Could it be the CD-Rom jumper? I dunno. Please help :)

P.S. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, or rude. I'm not trying to be :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did try reflasing the BIOS. Didn't work.

Edited by Loading..., 10 July 2010 - 01:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

P.S. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, or rude. I'm not trying to be

You are being none of the above so no need for apologies.
Have you checked the boot disk out to make sure it is still readable.
Have you tried setting the CD as Master Primary and the HDD as Master Secondary.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The CD I'm using is a Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation CD (this is the only bootable CD I currently have).

I would find another bootable CD and try that.
Drives wear and disks do go bad. There could be a scratch or smudge on it.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I found the problem. :)

http://arstechnica.c...p?f=15&t=275343

http://www.wildersse...ad.php?t=259612

http://www.allpostne.....ot others.php

When using Dell OEM Reinstallation CD's, it "look for a special coding on the BIOS of the Dell computers." to confirm you're installing on the same computer the CD shipped with (if the information above is correct). Since my computer is one of those old beige Dell computers that came with Windows ME, that is the reason it's not booting from the CD.

I don't have any "generic" Windows XP CD to boot with, but I do have a Linux distro CD on the way here. I'll try to boot with it & if it works then I'll know for sure its the Dell OEM. If not, then it's a problem with the hardware and back to troubleshooting.

Thanks for the help and information though. My lazy butt should've googled before starting this topic,lol.

Edited by Loading..., 11 July 2010 - 04:11 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Wow. That is a bit of interesting info.
A CD drive won't even allow a boot if its not coded correctly!