Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I recently aquired a 128g usb flash drive, im sure it isnt a 128g for the price i gave for it, does anyone know of a program that can initialise the true size and format it to its correct copacity?
thanks bunches,,yall have a great day

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Have a look at this http://fightflashfra...capacity-flash/ It was designed to catch out con men on ebay.
This will scan your flash drive & then provide you with a report of its findings.

does anyone know of a program that can initialise the true size and format it to its correct copacity?

Formatting the flash drive may do this automatically (resize it) but I do not know for sure, someone else could possibly advise you of this.

Edited by phillpower2, 08 July 2010 - 02:46 PM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows itself can format flash drives -- just right-click it's drive letter --> Format. Choose NTFS as the file-system, not FAT. NTFS is less wasteful of free space.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Choose NTFS as the file-system, not FAT. NTFS is less wasteful of free space

This is correct, but FAT is more universal and can be used by all file systems.