Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection

• Please log in to reply

ShreckengostFTW

ShreckengostFTW

• Pip
  • 6 posts
im not sure how this site works but i need help. im running on a verizon wireless netbook through their wireless connection but i want to connect to my local cable internet connection. i have a wireless router set up and ive tried both wired and wireless from it. in the network connections it shows that it is connected to my cable internet but when i procede to open up my internet explorer it says im offline when im clearly online.

for more referance ive taken this netbook to a friends house and i plugged their cable connection directly into the netbook and was able to surf the web no problem. why am i not able to do so from my own house when my friend and i have the same exact cable internet

the cable internet runs through a cable modem, then to the wireless router where my netbook can pick up the signal perfectly or i can run it wired to the netbook, neither of which work. help pl0x

Advertisements

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Maybe the router has some settings that don`t allow your computer to connect to the internet. Try do reset your router (maybe it has some settings saved from another time when you used it). Usually when you reset a router it takes any IP by DHCP which is from the cable modem, then because you`re connected to it wired or wireless you should be able to browse the internet without any problem.

To reset the router, keep the reset button near the power button in the back of it while it`s powered on for about 12-15 seconds, then you`ll see the power light from the router go off. That means that the router is restarting and applying the default settings.