Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpyBot Error: Xuron 55 [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AcidBurn

AcidBurn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am writing on behalf of my Mother-in-Law's computer (Compaq with ME system) that has become infected by Malware, as the computer will no longer allow me to shutdown correctly. The malware is still trying to access an outside line "IN_Progress Mail Server" is still running when I go to shutdown, and it won't allow me to "End Task", causing the computer to 'hang' up each time so I have to do two CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut down.

By running Spybot it uncovered the error message below:

"DateiC:\windows\win.lni kann nicht geoffnet werden - The process cannot access the file becasue it is being run by another program"

Unfortunately, Spybot could not fix this error and when I try to "View Report", it gives me the error message above so I have no Spybot report. I have also run Ad Aware and it could not help. I have tried searching for threads on how to solve this - but I have not been able to find anything concrete.

Below is the HiJackThis log that I ran yesterday. I will be greatly indebted to anyone who can help me get in my Mother-in-Law's good graces!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:03:20 PM, on 5/22/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\COMPAQ EAB SOFTWARE\CPQEK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOTDD01.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 7.0\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\SPYBOTSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\WUAUCLT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TD_0003.DIR\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://runonce.msn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] irmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cpqek] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq EAB Software\cpqek.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MSNIA] C:\PROGRA~1\MSN\MSNIA\MSNIASVC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Icône AOL.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 7.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O19 - User stylesheet: (file missing)

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Download CWShredder at http://www.greyknigh.../CWShredder.exe and run it. Click on 'I Agree' button if you agree with it. Click on 'Fix' (it will automatically fix anything it finds for you) and OK. If it asks if you want to delete a certain random file, choose No and post that filename here. Let it finish the scan and then hit Next and Exit.

Make sure to close any open browsers. Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://runonce.msn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
O19 - User stylesheet: (file missing)

Restart and run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.

Any problems now?

AcidBurn

AcidBurn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks GreyKnight17!

I won't get a chance to run your suggestion until next week when I am at my Mother-in-Law's place. Thnak you and I will get back to you at the beginning of next week. Thanks.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem. See if the problem is still there after doing that. If it is, we will take other measures.

AcidBurn

AcidBurn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
GreyKnight17,

Now that I have arrived in France, I have had the chance to download and run CWShredder from your website and it said it "Removed: TapiCfg" - that was it.

I also re-ran HJT and rempoved the seven items you mentioned, and then received a new log which I am posting it below. I also had the chance to run Spybot (after running HJT), but again it gives me the same error that I mentioned before when I try to run a "View Report" - and it still shows the Xuron55 error in the Scan.

Any suggestions you can provide would be wonderful, as we cannot turn off the computer with out serious problems each time, and I fear one of these times, we may get the dreaded "Blue Screen".

Thanks,
AcidBurn

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:19:26 AM, on 5/31/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\COMPAQ EAB SOFTWARE\CPQEK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOTDD01.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 7.0\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\WUAUCLT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 7.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TD_0004.DIR\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] irmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cpqek] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq EAB Software\cpqek.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MSNIA] C:\PROGRA~1\MSN\MSNIA\MSNIASVC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Icône AOL.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 7.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No need for the Spybot report. Just fix what it finds and restart. Do another scan and see if they come back.

See if this fixes the Xuron 55 error though. Download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4392.html and install it over the current Spybot installation. If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling Spybot.

If that fails, then we'll have to leave it at that. I have been searching for this problem lately and it seems to be a flaw on Windows 9x*admin computers. So it's by design I think until they fix it up.

Your log is clean.

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. On the Performance tab click File System. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check 'Disable System Restore'. Click OK. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart Windows. Restart your computer and uncheck the same box to enable System Restore.

Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If not, you should be set to go.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.