Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to connect two computers together

• Please log in to reply

valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am using windows xp on my laptop and my desktop and I want to connect both of them together. I would like to be able to get files off of my laptop and save them to the hard drive of my desktop. So I dont need to be able to connect to the internet on both PCs I just want to be able to shares files on both computers mainly so i can get files off my laptop and save to my desktop. I have an ethernet cable i can directly connect to the computers but where do I go from there?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
http://www.home-netw.../crossover.html

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're just doing random (every once in a while) file transfers it would be easier to just use a USB flash drive or external hard drive to do the file transfers.

if it's more of a regular thing, i'd suggest getting a router set up and setting up a home network to do the file sharing (or setting up a router, and getting a NAS and store the files there so they're always accessible from either computer or any other computer that connects in)