Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Computer Should I Buy?

• Please log in to reply

loser

loser

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I don't do anything out-of-the-ordinary on the computer.

I don't do any gaming.

I want to use the music program ProTools.

I can spend $400-$500.

Where would you recommend I go to buy?
Which computer would be a decent choice?

THANK U's.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Have a look here http://www.newegg.co...urOwn020410.jpg and if you see anything in particular that you like the look
of but need a second opinion on, post back for guidance, have you thought of building your own!
See the step by step guide by Troy here http://www.geekstogo...er-t208831.html

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, kudos for stating (1) your budget and (2) the intended use of this computer. I wish everyone seeking hardware advice would follow your lead and do the same. :)

What do you bring to the table? That is, do you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor you can use on this computer. If so, your budget will get you a better performing computer. If you need those items too, especially a monitor, your options will be limited. And while audio editing is less demanding than video, it is still demanding, especially with RAM where I would recommend at least 3Gb, with 32-bit and at least 4Gb with 64-bit Windows 7.

As for Pro Tools, I sure don't like their site. :) I was looking for system requirements and they seem to be very vague. But what I did find was not very encouraging either.

Windows 7 support is very limited and that is not good. IE8 is not fully supported and that is also not good. They even recommend uninstalling IE8 and that is bad!

It would seem product development with that company has fallen considerably behind. That indicates the company is probably not financially sound (no pun intended). Only the M-Audio version comes close to fully support Windows 7 in both 32 and 64-bit modes. If me, I would avoid Pro Tools and seek out another editing program that does support current technologies, to include full support for 64-bit Windows 7.