Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with new graphics card pro/660

• Please log in to reply

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Do you think that maybe my new card isn't compatible with my moniter? I'm considering trying to return this card and getting a different one.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
unless the game is switching resolutions, and your monitor cant handle those resolutions, thats not the problem.
you can check that by going to display properties, and upping the resolution. if your at 800x600, take it up to 1024x768. the screen will change along with the keep or revert back window.
if the display goes black, you know the monitor wont support that res. if you lose picture, windows will revert to the old res. in 15 seconds, so nothing to worry about. take it up a few notches just to see what you can do.

I hate to say it, but I think the motherboard is the problem. its pretty limited, the processor seems to be hard mounted (the manuals for similar models were under sections called "onboard CPU"), and its probably hard coded for instructions, etc.

a different video card may work better, but I cant say that for sure.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Bummer! The screen seems to be able to display quite high resolutions. However when I launch fifa it does stutter about and seems to be switching resolutions as the cursor goes big and the desktop flickers on and off changing size untill the game eventually kicks in (with it's screwed up graphics).
Is there a graphics card you could suggest I try. It seems to be the next logical step. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
which version of the card do you have? there were many listed on the gainward site. lite, 64 bit, low profile, golden sample.
also it looks like it came with a display tweaking program. if thats not installed, try it out. you might be able to find some workable settings.

anther possible option would be to try actual nvidia drivers. sometimes using those can help, as opposed to whatever version the 3rd party (gainward in this case) has provided.
its a few more things to try before having to call this a no joy situation.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The card is "Gainward fx powerpack!" model pro/660 TV Geforce fx 5200 128 mb ddr, low profile. I bought it from ebuyer, you can see the exact one here:
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=52247
I have installed the disply tweaking program. In "performance settings" there is "Core clock setting" (set to 250 MHz) and "memory clock setting" (266 MHz). I'm afraid I'm not a graphics man though so it doesn't mean anything to me. I'm cautious about adjusting something I don't understand. :tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Oh yeah, and I did install the drivers from the nvidea site but it made no difference.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you were right not to mess with the core clock speed and memory clock settings, those are for overclocking the card. I was hoping there would be controls for tweaking display, and maybe the AGP speeds.

This one has got me frustrated, and Im sure you feel the same way! its difficult because we dont have the specifics of your motherboard, cant play with the display controls, etc.
another card probably is your best option, but its hard for me to reccommend one, again because of the limited info and control of you mobo. it is running at AGP 4x support maximum, possibly only 2x. most video cards will be backwards compatible, which helps.

I dont know if you have any computer shops in your area that deal in used parts. I am thinking along these lines because they may have some older cards that would work well in your pc. may even get lucky and find someone there who is familiar with your mobo.

I noticed the site you sent me to for your card lists prices in british pounds. are you in the UK? if so, I will ask one of the staffers here who is also over there for suggestions on this...

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yes I am in the UK. I have been looking at other cards on the net but sufferring from information overload! There's so many to choose from and I don't really know what to be looking for.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hey Audioboy & bogbiscuit

What would you like to know about the motherboard? I have manual here & will tell you if you ask very nicely!

The mobo supports agp 2.0 (ie 4x, 1.5V I assume). The available settings for agp in the bios are :
Share memory size (for onboard vga)
Primary graphics adapter
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA

Thats it basically.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Samm, as usual, you blow me away! smart chicks are cool :tazz:

so, pretty please, with whip cream and cherries, what can he set to make that card work (if he can)?

and where did you find the manual? myself and another couldnt find the right one...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Found the manual on pc chips's website. You just have to know where to look!

I can't see however, that changing any of those settings in the bios is gonna make the card work somehow.

I did find one or two things on gainwards website.
They said there are some compatibilty issues with some LCD monitors (I don't know if thats relevant here or not)
They also suggest removing the motherboard drivers before installing the video card driver, then reinstalling mobo drivers afterwards. But that sounds odd to me, normally you would do this the other way around.

It's possible that a bios update would help, but problem is there appears to be several different versions of the motheboard pcb. Without knowing exactly which version we have here, makes this rather tricky.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
have a look on the games own web site to see if they have an updated driver or patch for your card for that game and reinstall direct x for the new card

Rocketman1Dave

Rocketman1Dave

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Try contacting the guy you got the PC from to see if he has any of the information you are looking for. that is if you still have any contact information from who you got the pc from.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hey Samm
My moniter isn't an LCD. I feel I have explored all my possibilities in my BIOS settings and display settings now. Do you think I need to try that thing with my mobo drivers?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Hey Samm
My moniter isn't an LCD. I feel I have explored all my possibilities in my BIOS settings and display settings now. Do you think I need to try that thing with my mobo drivers?

View Post

It sounds a bit iffy to me but may be worth a shot.
You will need to back up anything important on the system, eg your own files etc, internet & email settings. Create a system restore point just before you change anything, so hopefully you can undo any changes if it all goes pear shaped.

Its not clear from the website whether they meant all motherboard drivers or just the ones related to the display (ie agp).

Anyway, you can download them from here :

http://www.pcchips.c...nuID=45&LanID=0

I would download the SIS AGP driver & extract it to the hard drive.

With the video card drivers, I would do this :

1. Update the video adapter to standard VGA (PCI) adapter

2. Uninstall the gainward driver if theres an uninstall option for it (add/remove programs)

3. Reboot the machine in safe mode

4. Go to device manager & delete all entries in the video adapter branch, except the current standard vga (pci) one.

5. Then delete the SIS agp driver from the system devices branch.

6. Then locate & delete the file sisagp.inf from the windows\system folder or where ever it is. Don't delete the copy you just downloaded obviously! This should prevent the system from automatically reinstalling the sis agp driver before the video card driver.

7. Reboot the system & let windows install the video card.

8. To reinstall the sis agp driver, I think you need to run the setup.exe file thats in the downloaded driver.

This may all go horribly wrong but at least you should be able to do a system restore if it does.
Good luck