Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to do?

• Please log in to reply

adamo

adamo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I have kind of a weird question about a seeing if what I'm thinking on doing is even possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm thinking about doing is taking the parts from my wife's laptop(which she doesn't use anymore) and putting them in my laptop (which I would completely gut out.

I have a Toshiba M65 with a 17in screen and have had it for over 5 years and I've pretty much maxed out the RAM and HD and recently replaced the LCD screen. It's been a great computer and is great for my profession (graphic/ web design).

anyways I bought a laptop for my wife about 2 years ago, its a Toshiba A105 model. It pretty much has better parts than mine (is a dual core, and can handle RAM up to 4GB) compared to mine which is a (1.73ghz and 2GB RAM max). I would just start using her's but it only has a 15" screen and I can't stand doing Graphic Design on it.

so since my wife doesn't use it and wants a Netbook. I figure instead of me getting a new laptop (which I'm well past due) I was thinking of just trying to swap the parts from hers and put them in mine.

Hope this makes since on what I'm thinking about trying and any help would be great

Thanks,
Adam

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not going to be possible, I'm afraid. Too much has changed between the laptops. You cannot swap random pieces between laptops as they probably wouldn't fit anyway.
The simple solution is simply use the newer laptop, but then you could connect it to an external PC monitor.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
:) adamo

In a nutshell...
I wouldn't even attempt it. Laptops are very difficult to work on. They have very small parts. The chance that every component in your wifes would match exactly is very slim.

The physical size is different so the mounting locations for the components won't match.
You would probably wind up with 2 dead laptops.