Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I remove a upgrade stick of memory that I suspect is bad?

• Please log in to reply

yamachick

yamachick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
I had the power supply unit go bad on my hp761c desktop.
Computer shop replaced it.
While it was there they upgraded the memory from 512 mb to 1 gb.
Certain programs cause it to crash.
AVG (removed)with removal software
norton(removed)with removal software
recording software
ms office
Brought it back to the shop and they swear it's fine and won't take back off.

After doing a lot of pc doctor tests which said everything was fine and virus removal software (which also causes a crash and bsod)I did some research on the error and it suggested I download and run a ms memory test. It failed one part during the second cycle and 2 parts during the third.
Since I didn't put the card in; I don't know which one it is. There is one on the inside toward the cpu and one on the outside.
Also I don't know what to setting to use in the bios. Can anybody help ? Yamachick

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi yamachick :)

Are we talking about a desktop or a laptop?
Without knowing I can't guide you to good.

It sounds like you now have 2 sticks of ram. They can only be "disabled" by physically removing them.

What you can do is remove 1 of the sticks and see what happens. If the remaining stick fails, then swap with the other stick. In other words, process of elimination.

Now for our speech (and how to run memtest).

Broni's Instructions:

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

yamachick

yamachick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi runner123-
I've established that one is bad with the testing.
When I take it out do I have to change anything on the start up bios screen ?
Or do I just take it out and fire it up ?
This poor old desktop has been thru enough and I would like to keep from traumitizing it any more.
How do I release the white clips on the sides of card ?
Trying not to break something.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is nothing to change on a bios screen. The bios will recognize it correctly.

To remove the ram. Before you start there are a couple things that are critical for you to do.
Ram should only be handled by the edges of the ram card.
You should ground yourself before and during the handling of electrical components.
This is so there is no static discharge to the components. Static can (and will) hurt the components.
I would suggest moving the computer off a carpet and on to another type of floor.
While removing the ram, keep your arm/ body in contact with the frame of the computer.
The computer should be shut down and the power cord removed.
Open up the case.

The white clips release the ram stick. Gently pull away (push down) on the clip and the ram will start to come up from its slot.
Do the same on the other side.

Close the computer, plug in , and restart. You should get something on the screen about the ram changing.

Run the computer to see if there are any issues with that stick that remains.
If you have problems you will have to now swap the 2 sticks.

To reinstall a stick, place the stick in the slot (align so that the notches match).
The clips need to be out.
Gently push down on the stick of ram. I push on each side so they go in fairly evenly.

If you want, when you have a stick in by itself, you can run memtest again, but usually a physical swap is all you need.

Just be sure you keep yourself touching the computer frame.

yamachick

yamachick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK-
I tried with both sticks and one crashes and blue screens and the other comes on but still can't do anything too hard. I ran the test again with 8 passes. Stride 6 was the only one it failed. The results were with the cashe on.
pass address expected read
3 1c6e42d0 00000000 ffff0000

4 17afa310 00000000 0000ffff
4 17afa3d0 00000000 0000ffff
4 17afa400 ditto for all the rest
5 123f4450
8 1fff4360

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Already have moved any important files.
I'm pretty sure I seated them properly as they went like a knife in butter. yamachick