Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE explorer stuck in time

• Please log in to reply

Winkie

Winkie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Suddenly my home page is stuck in time. when I launce IE to get on the net it goes to my home page (MSN) however instead of it having the current days date and events etc. it's stuck on July 3rd. and I get a pop up bar warning which never happened before.If I manually type MSN in the address bar it all work correctly that way. No pop up bar warning either.What is causing it to be stuck on a certian date? How can I fix this?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the system time and date correct. either on taskbar or Control Panel Date and time

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As you had not replied, I sent you a PM, you said you had replied to the thread, you have NOT, do you still need help?

Winkie

Winkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

As you had not replied, I sent you a PM, you said you had replied to the thread, you have NOT, do you still need help?

System time is correct.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Renew the Home Page link, firstly go to Tools on the menu bar, click Internet Options.
On the General tab, reset your home page by entering MSN web address manually ,. clicking Apply and OK and then restart the computer.
Then open your browser
Type this in the home page box
http://uk.msn.com/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 July 2010 - 04:01 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Lets clear the cache and temp files on the computer also.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]

Winkie

Winkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Renew the Home Page link, firstly go to Tools on the menu bar, click Internet Options.
On the General tab, reset your home page by entering MSN web address manually ,. clicking Apply and OK and then restart the computer.
Then open your browser
Type this in the home page box
http://uk.msn.com/

I did all that and still in the same spot. I even tried to change my home page to yahoo just to see if that would work. restarted etc. It;s still stuck on msn on july 3rd and I keep getting the pop up browser warning at the top of the window. It never did that untill this problem occurred.It;s like this page is embedded somewhere slse and I can't figure where.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please just clarify that when you manually type the msn address it is OK.
When you use MSN as the home page it is stuck on 3 July
When you set home page as Yahoo it still loads the 3 July MSN page.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 July 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Winkie

Winkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Please just clarify that when you manually type the msn address it is OK.
When you use MSN as the home page it is stuck on 3 July
When you set home page as Yahoo it still loads the 3 July MSN page.

yes when I type the msn in it is ok, I just keep getting the stuck msn page.
when I try changing to yahoo by manual typing it in to set it as the home page. I still get the old msn page still stuck on july 3.
If I type msn in the address bar I get the most current date(today( and everything works fine. I've even tried clicking on the "set MSN as your home page" from the good working MSN ,but still get the stuck one.Ihad a problem with finding IE* after Norton helped me with a bad malware problem. after I got rid of the malware I couldn't find the ie8 short cut. The person at Norton helped me get it back and ever since them it's been stuck in time.Plus that annoying pop up bar at the top.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. What is the message on the popup bar warning please.
2. Some spyware and antivirus programmes will not let you change your homepage, what of these do you use please - just Norton or anything else
3. Temporarily disable your spyware blocker and your antivirus and see if you are then allowed to change the homepage, obviously only go to trusted sites
4. If that does not work, go to Tools Internet Options, Advanced and RESET IE to default condition. You may wish to note what settings you currently use so you can return to those if this is of no effect.
5. If that does not work uninstall IE8 and reinstall
See this link for the details
http://www.brighthub...cles/48520.aspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 July 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Winkie

Winkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1. What is the message on the popup bar warning please.
2. Some spyware and antivirus programmes will not let you change your homepage, what of these do you use please - just Norton or anything else
3. Temporarily disable your spyware blocker and your antivirus and see if you are then allowed to change the homepage, obviously only go to trusted sites
4. If that does not work, go to Tools Internet Options, Advanced and RESET IE to default condition. You may wish to note what settings you currently use so you can return to those if this is of no effect.
5. If that does not work uninstall IE8 and reinstall
See this link for the details
http://www.brighthub...cles/48520.aspx

1/ "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer click here for options"

at this time I only have norton running. I have Malwarebytes that I use to scan .
with /
I TRIED EVERYTHING YOU SUGGESTED but still no change' I could only uninstall IE8 but then after it was gone IE7 took it's place with no visual way to remove it. THen I reinstalled IE8 from the site. Maybe I should use another broswer like foxfire or something/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Trying FireFox will let you know if the problem is IE or the system.
You can get the newest FireFox from the link in my signature below.

Winkie

Winkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Trying FireFox will let you know if the problem is IE or the system.
You can get the newest FireFox from the link in my signature below.

Well Foxfire works like a charm, actually like it better. Funny when I did the ie reinstall my shortcut disapeared. any way it's definitely the explorer that's screwed up'