Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E8500 running at 90C

• Please log in to reply

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,
I have E8500 which after bootup is at around 60C and when I run games etc. it is at 90C. A couple of times my CPU has shutdown, I believe because of overheating. I have used a variety of utilities (speedfan, real temp, bios) to check the temperature and they all say the same. I cleaned the insides of my desktop and still the temperature remains high. All my CPU and chasis fans are working. I have this desktop for about 1.5 years and it is only now I am noticing this problem. I was wondering if it is because of me using the stock heatsink and fan that came with intel. My motherboard is pretty hot at 50 C too. Please give me some recommendations

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would check the Thermal Paste between your processor and your heatsink it might have dryed up, you should also clean the heatsink and fan for the best results.

Stock heatsink even if not the best should not be the reason it is running at 90

If your processor is running at 90 it will affect the temperature of your motherboard.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I removed the existing thermal paste and I reapplied a new one. The temperature fell down to 48 C. However, when I went into the BIOS to set my cpu and chasis fan speed to max, I noticed the temperature had shot up to 88C. After I went into vista it fell down again to 48 C. My fan speed at max is a constant of 1406 rpm. When I read most posts I notice that fan speeds are at 5000 rpm max. I am wondering if something is wrong with my fan?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Here is a very good tutorial for getting the best out of Speed fan which can control the CPU heat and fan settings.

http://unitstep.net/...pcs-fan-speeds/

If your Mobo has a utility for monitoring the CPU try to disable it.

Make sure you have the fan connected to the CPU pins and not by mistake to the PWR or system headers.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have followed the tutorial and set the fan speed to max and it remains at 1400 rpm. I believe there is something wrong with the fan.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks a lot all of you. I did try removing the heatsink. removing all the thermal paste and putting back the heatsink. That didn't help. I am leaning towards the fact that the heatsink may not have been inserted properly as shown in the page http://www.supremela...nks/warning.htm. I will try inserting the heatsink again. However, I am worried that applying too much pressure might crack the mother board. Also my GPU ATI Radeon HD4870X2 is running very hot. Don't know the exact temperatures but it seems to be very hot to touch. Much hotter than my CPU. Don't know if that is affecting the temperature.

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Apparantly, based on some reviews I've read, that Radeon HD4870 X2 runs on the "toasty" side. Not sure which brand you have, but this is a pretty good review on the Sapphire model of the Radeon HD4870 X2. From what I've read, the GPU on that card averages around 70°C on the low end to 76°C on the upper end at idle, and it jumps up to around 90°C on the low end to 99°C on the upper end when the card is put under full load for a period of at least 15 minutes or more.

Here is a review from PC Stats.com as well.

Hope that helps.

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I installed Cooler Master 212 Hyper plus and threw away the stock intel cooler. My CPU temperature fell to 25 C. However, my mother board temperature is still 52C even with the case open. It might be because of the radeon HD 4870x2 running very close to the south bridge. I am a bit disappointed with the cooler master the thing is humongous. The cooler master 212 was so huge that I had to remove a 250 mm fan from XCLIO A380 case in order to close the case. The case wouldn't close because of the copper welds at the end of the heat pipes. I wish they had shown the sense to file it away.

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
If you have access to some tools, you might try modifying your case in order for everything to fit. What type of case do you have?

Salil Surendran

Salil Surendran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I already used tools to modify my case to save my fan. but nothing worked. had to take out the complete fan.