Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AUDIO HELP - PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello!
New member here!

The main reason for signing up to this site is to seek help with a problem I have been having ever since I bought this computer 3 months ago!

When I first got my computer 2nd hand, I realised that the sound...well it was absent. Now I don't know alot about computers at all so if you can reply in the most simplest terms, it'd be much appreciated.

In device manager, I have NO Multimedia Audio Contoller, but what I have noticed is that I have a device called, SIS AUDIO 7018 with a yellow exclamation mark covering it. Does anyone know whether this is the reason why my sound isn't work, and if so, what do I do,

I have tried updating it automatically but ' WINDOWS COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING ' so I downloaded sis 7012 - because, according to EVEREST program, that's what I needed. After downloading that - still nothing. There is still a yellow symbol over SIS AUDIO 7018. Can anyone help me? It'd be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Yes that is the reason.
Pls provide make and model of computer if branded.
Which edition of XP

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes that is the reason.
Pls provide make and model of computer if branded.
Which edition of XP

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! It's so nice to see people willing to help others.
Unfortunately, I do not know anything about my computer except that it is a ShuttleXPC?
Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.softwarep...sis7018-dl.html

Here is the link to what I am reasonably certain is the correct driver. Even if it is NOT, it will not do any harm. It is a zip file download. SAVE the file to a place on your computer. Extract the files to that same place.
Go to the entry with the warning symbol and double click it, you will then get up the box with the option to update or install driver. Do NOT select the automatic search, select install from a specific location, then open the location where you downloaded and find the driver file. Select that and then follow the instructions.
IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE an error warning that the driver is NOT compatible, do not install.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 July 2010 - 05:30 PM.

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

http://www.softwarep...sis7018-dl.html

Here is the link to what I am reasonably certain is the correct driver. Even if it is NOT, it will not do any harm. It is a zip file download. SAVE the file to a place on your computer. Extract the files to that same place.
Go to the entry with the warning symbol and double click it, you will then get up the box with the option to update or install driver. Do NOT select the automatic search, select install from a specific location, then open the location where you downloaded and find the driver file. Select that and then follow the instructions.

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry to seem so naive but, can I save it to anywhere on my computer? Is desktop ok for example?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes, but it is easier to save it in Downloads in My Documents and then you know where it is without cluttering the Desktop.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
FYI 7012 drivers do not work on 7018 SIS hardware. So, here it is.

http://www.softwarep...es/sis7018.html

If you look at your motherboard( open the case)somewhere it will tell you what the model number is. Usually between the PCI slots. Then go here and look it up.

http://global.shuttle.com/download.jsp

You should be able to download the audio drivers or if there are none then download the chipset drivers for your model of motherboard.

SRX660

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Cheers!
So I have downloaded the reccomended file, I have extracted the files, I have right clicked on ' UPDATE DRIVER ' and now I am locating the driver I have just downloaed, however, although I have found SIS 7018 where I saved it, there are many different files to choose from...which file would the driver be in?

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
If it helps

Attached Files

• Attached File  A.bmp   277.93KB   202 downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SRX660 The same link from you as I had posted in my post 4.
Unusual for Tech Staf not to be on the ball - ONLY JOKING.

Daveoreilly12345.
The easiest way to tell you is to look at the files on the driver download, is there one named XP
if that is yellow it is a folder as against A FILE AND THAT FOLDER WILL OPEN.
If you then look at the names the driver file should be obvious, if in any doubt simply select each to place in the driver name box.
I have downloaded it to check - WinXP folder SIS sytem file.
There is also a setup install which should do it automatically
See screenshot

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 July 2010 - 06:00 PM.

Advertisements

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, when I open the XP folder within the extracted files, it has a SET UP DRIVER, but when it comes to selecting a file ( when I try to update the sis 7018 with yellow exclamation mark ) the folder only has a readable file inside?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry, that was me perhaps misleading you, see my post click to open the XP folder and then find the driver. PLEASE NOW See my amended post.

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I clicked the SET UP box and it said I needed to restart my computer in order for the set up complete.. I did exactly this but there is no change, there is still that annoying yellow exclamation mark!

daveoreilly123456

daveoreilly123456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just incase this helps...

Attached Files

• Attached File  ASS.bmp   272.32KB   209 downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry, I have just deleted the download now, so I will have to go from memory.
You downloaded and then extracted the files, you end up with the files in my screenshot.
You then click on the Setup launcher computer screen icon, and a screen then opens saying this will install the driver on your system.
Is that what you did please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 July 2010 - 06:14 PM.