Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Administrator Permission in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

OregonEagle

OregonEagle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello everyone.

A few years ago, I had a real nasty virus, and it was fixed with ease using advice found here, so I figured this would be the best place to ask my question.

Just recently, I got a new laptop (Dell Studio) with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. This was just as my old home-built desktop with Windows XP decided it was time for the monitor to say goodnight forever. Over the past two weeks or so, I've been trying to get this laptop up-to-date with all the stuff I used to do on the desktop, and so far, most of that has meant messing around with Flight Simulator X. Throughout this whole process, I have constantly been running into situations where I'm trying to do something really basic (like download a new livery for a plane in the game) and the computer informs me that I need administrator permission. I AM the administrator! I'm the only one who uses this computer! I've spent days Googling this problem, and the two bits of advice I've found are to enter "net user administrator /active:yes" into the command prompt (which does precisely nothing) or to "Log in as the administrator" or whatever, which doesn't make much sense to me because this is the only account I can log into. I was coping and finding ways around this, until finally I found a problem that I can't deal with. I managed to download some files into the folder I want them in (which is within the Flight Simulator X Directory) but they're .rar files and I need them extracted. Okay, no problem, just right click and go "Extract Here" like I would in XP. WRONG! ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION REQUIRED! CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR PERMISSION!

What in the [bleep]?! Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? I can just see the board meeting now.
"Alright men, we need a feature that will make this new OS more accessible and less time-consuming for the consumer."
"I've got an idea."
"What is it, Ed?"
"Well, how about we segregate the entire computer into two different categories. The old My Documents folder becomes the user's own folder, and operates just like it did in XP. But everything else, with programs and things that might need to be modified, is locked away and can only be accessed but never changed, added to, or subtracted from!"
"That's genius. This will render all PC gaming completely unmodifiable! Users will have no choice but to buy an Xbox and adhere to THAT set of rigid and uncompromising rules that require him to buy everything from us!"
"Hold on just a minute. You're talking about the death of PC gaming! This company has a big stake in that market!"
"What are they going to do, switch to Macs? Go back to XP? We just have to make sure nothing is compatible with those! Nothing works on OSX, so that's covered! As long as we're careful to make things work [bleep] on XP, we'll have it made."
"Oh, okay. I like your thinking, boss."

Alright, so I know that's total [bleep], but still! I miss the days when a folder was just a folder, and I could move [bleep] around and extract and delete without having to figure out how to ask myself for permission. What can I do to make this thing work for me?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
For any app, program or utility (eg WinRAR etc) that flags up this message you just need to right-click the program or utility you want to run and choose "Run As Administrator".

For WinRAR, to make the permission (run as admin) permanent, right-click any WinRAR shortcut and select 'Properties'.

Click the 'Security' tab, then click the 'Edit' button.
Highlight your account name, make sure all the "Allow" checkboxes are ticked. Click 'OK'

OregonEagle

OregonEagle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I right-clicked WinRAR and found the boxes. They're all ticked to "allow" except for the one that says "special permissions," and that one's grayed-out so I can't tick it? That's true for the categories of "SYSTEM" and "Administrators" as well.

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Throughout this whole process, I have constantly been running into situations where I'm trying to do something really basic (like download a new livery for a plane in the game) and the computer informs me that I need administrator permission. I AM the administrator!

I guess you are not aware of Windows 7 better security features compared to XP.
In XP, you were always running as Administrator, and therefore, just like that nasty virus you spoke of, it and any other malware has the same admin privileges as you in XP, so it can do whatever it pleases. Win7 (like Vista)
has better security features to keep malware from running its own nasty stuff without your permission. But if you want to set it so it is less intrusive, but less safe, here is a link to show you how...

http://www.microsoft...nt-control.aspx

Hope this helps.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I know especially with winRAR, if you want to use the "extract here" feature, it will work if you disable UAC, but only do so if you really really trust your antivirus