Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 crashing while gaming

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Clear the CMOS again and swap out the PSU.
What was the suggested Vista fix and could it work for W7.

Advertisements

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Unplugged one RAM stick - the computer started up, and after about a minute it blue-screened.

Restarted, running the startup repair because the computer's unhappy about only having 2gb of RAM.

Okay, it's working now. Back to where we were before, minus 2gb of RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Stick with trying a known good psu, at least that way if you have the same problem it would narrow the possible cause down to the MB or CPU.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
That's next on my list - found a friend with an extra working PSU to use to test it, so we'll see if that works. I'll keep you posted, but it might be a few days.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No problem, we will await your update.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Okay, finally found some time where we were both free to test things.

He was convinced that it was the video card, so he brought both his video card and his PSU.

We swapped the video cards, and the problem persisted. He has a different model of card, but it was still VERY similar problems.

So we swapped out the power supply, and again, the problems still persisted.

Both of them work fine in his machine, so I think we can say for sure that it's not the video card, not the power supply, and from past efforts suggested in this topic, it's not the ram or the drivers. So I think the only thing left to accuse is the motherboard. So I'll probably go buy a new one once I have a bit of money set aside, unless anyone has any other ideas of something else that could be at fault.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If you have or can loan some Arctic Silver 5 or something similar I suggest removing the CPU, cleaning and preparing it and then re-apply the correct amount of thermal compound and see how that goes, if the problem re-occurs it may suggest the MB has issues.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Bought a new motherboard. Installed it, cleaned the CPU, reapplied thermal compound... exact same problems are persisting. Gonna give it a few days to let the compound set, just in case the problem is because it was just put on there. He suggested that the next step - we switch back to the old mobo and return the new one (no point wasting money since it didn't fix the problem), then back up my hard-drive, wipe the computer clean, and try a fresh install of windows, and be VERY careful about what drivers to pick (since the most recent ones don't seem to be working, maybe we'll try installing an older driver and see if that works).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sounds like the best plan of attack at the moment, after the drivers it only leaves the CPU itself. which is the least likely of the 2.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Finally got around to formatting the hard drive. Installed Windows, the video drivers, and a couple games to test. The old problems persisted, the only difference being that now the "AMD driver has crashed and successfully recovered" message no longer pops up. So either the drivers are fine and the problem is something else, or ALL the different sources for the drivers are bad. I'm assuming the former at this point.

Advertisements

MikeRollo

MikeRollo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was just reading this post because I have the Same problems with this card on Windows 7 64Bit and on my older PC with Windows Vista 32Bit I was using it for Call of Duty 4 and Black ops Online and i found that if i made my own private server it Would Crash Screen in to "Power Saving Mode" or "Device Disconnected" and Sound Would Mess up and then go off completely. I also Found That it didn't crash offline or on a server in the USA (I'm in the UK) so could this be like a problem with the ping or Connection to server ? :D Or is it crashing offline on your games? :D

EDIT: I turned the GPU clock down to 700Hz in CCC and had no problems try doing that and tell is it worked

Edited by MikeRollo, 16 February 2011 - 04:12 PM.