Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby

• Please log in to reply

Joanne81

Joanne81

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had this problem where my computer screen will randomly shut up and go into standby mode.

It would be okay, but once the screen shuts off it refuses to turn back on.

I's don't this before, but then seemed to be working okay again and now it's started again...

The computer itself I'm sure still runs, because the speakers can still play music it's just nothing on the screen.

Occasionally I'll get a window pop up that says 'windows has recovered from a serious error' but that's also at random and dosen't seem to have much of an effect in the stopping of the problem.

My computers only a year old =/

(I'm not sure if this topic is in the right place, move it if it isn't).

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Joanne, welcome to Geeks to Go. You can turn off the power saver feature on the monitor. Put the mouse pointer on your desk top, right click, properties, screen saver tab. Click the power button and change the monitor, hard disk and standby power options. I have mine set to never because I don't want my computer to shut down until I turn it off myself.

Joanne81

Joanne81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's not the problem.

I already have those options all set to 'never.'

The problem is that it switches of completly randomly while I am still using the computer and refuses to switch back on.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
humm, it could be the monitor or the video card if you verified the settings do not change, and it only happens on the monitor. Try a different monitor, maybe a friends if you don't have another one available. If the problem goes away, fixed. If not...maybe the video card.

Joanne81

Joanne81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've actually changed the moniter already and the same thing happened again so I don't think it's the moniter (or just the moniter).

I don't know much about video cards ><

This time it happened, this is the error message that came up:

Posted Image

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
well, that is good. It could be a driver issue. I see you went to the event log and viewed properties for the event? Did you send the report to M$ and view the knowledg base? That could give a clue. What kind of video card is it? If you don't know or your manual does not tell you, you can run belarc advisor to find out. Just google belarc advisor for the link.