Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1TB Hard drive not found in device manager

• Please log in to reply

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi i've recently purchased a new computer and the main storage drive western digital caviar black 1tb is not in my device manager i'm using windows 7 pro 64 bit, I have a solid state drive 60gb as my boot drive in bios it holds my os, and the storage is suppose to hold everything else like games etc. SSD uses 3.0 gb/s (sata 2), western digital caviar black uses (sata 3) they are but in the right place on the sata ports I had it working yesterday but when i booted it up today the only thing it sees in the device manager is the solid state drive. The only possible culprit I could come up with was the power to the western digital, I have a modular cable 6 pin running straight from the power supply into the western digital, but this cable also has other sata ends on it so I decided to hook in the dvd drive above it as well with the same cable the dvd burner / reader uses sata 3.0gb/s now maybe the dvd burner is taking to much power from the hard drive i'm not sure ... my motherboard is asus maximus 3 extreme power supply is xfx 850 watt black edition should be lots of power any help guys would be appreciated much thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you had a look in the BIOS to see if the drive is detected (tap F8 whilst booting up)
Provide the HDD with its own power supply lead, use the table below so you know
which lead to use;

Type of connector: XFX XPS850W-BES
ATX connector (530mm) 20+4 pin
8-pin EPS12V connector (540mm) 1
4+4 pin EPS12V connector (540mm) 1
6+2 PCIe (600mm) 2
Modular Cables
5.25" Drive (550mm+150mm+150mm) 3
5.25" Drive (450mm+150mm+150mm) 3
5.25" Drive (350mm+150mm) 2
5.25" - 2x 3.5" Drive adaptor (150mm) 1
SATA (550mm+150mm+150mm) 3
SATA (450mm+150mm+150mm) 6
SATA (350mm+150mm) 2
6+2 PCIe (550mm) 2

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yeah, it comes up in bios while booting it detects it, sorry I was out of the city all day wasn't able to reply. I just started it up and it is found in device manager now ... (havn't changed power to it yet so i'm not sure why it is all jumpy like that but I think I will give it its own source anyways just to eliminate the possibility of that being the culprit. Sorry I really don't understand the table below haha.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
OK, please let us know how it works out, I included the table
so you could determine which were the SATA leads without going
into the user manual.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the drive show in My Computer?