Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packet Loss/ Timeout issues

• Please log in to reply

KrazyDaze

KrazyDaze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok... I have spent the last 6 months fighting with Bright House Networks trying to get this problem resolved. They have been unable to pinpoint the issue. Maybe someone here has some insight on what might be going on. What happens is I lose connection for a short time. Usually under 5 minutes. When I run diagnostics on my PC I have gotten 2 errors, "Unable to communicate with primary DNS server" and "Modem is experiencing connectivity issues" I am having packet loss, ping spikes, and browsing is slowed. This is affecting all PC's in the house. Started with a business class modem, with 4 port hub built in. 5 static IP addresses. All PC's connected experienced problems. *2 hard wired to modem, 1 wireless laptop* Also had the problem without router connected. I have now gotten rid of that modem and went back to residential level service with only 1 dynamic IP and using my router to connect all PC's. New modem, same problems. When this occurs, lights on modem do not change at all. Sometimes the diagnostics utility can fix it, sometimes I have to reboot the modem. Sometimes none of that helps. Also, this seems to affect all my services with them. The phone goes out, and TV will get fuzzy, pixilate, freeze, and the guide screen gets all disfigured. They have replaced the drop line, all hardware in the box outside the house, cable line to modem, switched modems, used a monitoring tool, where they can see a problem on the line, but cannot seem to pinpoint it. I have tried to isolate the issue to a single piece of equipment in my house, but I get the same issue no matter what PC is connected. I even changed out Ethernet cords, not cheap crap either. The problem tends to be worse at night during peak hours. Attached is a copy of my steady ping test. Any advice on the issue to maybe tell Brighthouse where to look would be GREAT! Oh yeah, running Windows 7 Ultimate, installed as 32 bit, AMD AthlonX2 64 processor, Asus AM3 board, onboard Gigabit lan card.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ping.txt   14.17KB   112 downloads

Edited by KrazyDaze, 10 July 2010 - 09:13 PM.

Advertisements