Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to know if you are hearing the "click of death" on hard

• Please log in to reply

TrekByte

TrekByte

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a new Compaq laptop (model #CQ60-615DX) and noticed while I was downloading some files, I heard a clicking noise coming from the hard drive. I researched it online and all the information I could find is that it's the "click of death" which means your hard drive is failing. So, I returned it and got another of the same model. Now this one does the same thing. Mainly when im downloading files. I've never experienced my other laptops hard drive's making this noise. Is this normal? The sound is kinda of like a "tapping" noise and only seems to happen when im downloading files. Its not very loud but you can hear it when its quiet in the room. The hard drive is a toshiba mk2556gsy 250GB @ 7200RPM.

If anyone has any idea, Id appreciate it. Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...ive diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

TrekByte

TrekByte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

It is a Toshiba. Is their any other way to test it? I've noticed now it does it even when accessing files-like videos..its a very faint tick and it will sometimes be 1 tick or two at a time.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

The hard drive is a toshiba mk2556gsy 250GB @ 7200RPM.

I guess, I'm tired....LOL

1. Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /f /r, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Chkdsk will run.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The Seagate diagnostics will sometimes pick up the off brand drives and be able to diagnose them.

I also heard that the Hitachi DFT will work on all drives. (I can't confirm that though)

TrekByte

TrekByte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I ran both tests and they came out fine

Could this just be a normal sound the hard drive makes? It hasn't given me any problems. No lock ups or blue death screens, very responsive.