Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

May need to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - so here's the deal. I have a Gateway 400VTX. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 SP2. I have a Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz, 120mb of RAM.

This computer was given to me so I could use it on the road for work. I installed Windows XP and did all of the upgrades. But SP 3 really bogs/slows down this laptop. So I took it back to SP2. Runs better. However, I'm having problems running programs like SuperAntispyware, Malware bytes, and I had a hard time finding a security program that would run without bogging it down. Finally went with Avira. Start up is slow, Internet Browsing seems to be good. Having a couple of windows open at once seems to shut down the computer. I'm not sure what all may need upgraded if anything. So I'm looking for some help before I try anything else. Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Biggest and smartest upgrade you could do right noe would be to upgrade your ram. I am ammazed XP is even running with 12o megs like you say you have.

Consider maxing out the ram and you should see a very noticable difference.

If you go to www.crucial.com and search your system, they will tell you exactly what you need.

Murray

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I agree, max it out with 1GB of RAM.
http://www.crucial.c...px?model=400VTX.