Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install windows xp on dell xps 600

• Please log in to reply

newsox

newsox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Description of my problem:

I have a Dell XPS 600. The first time I had to do a clean format/reinstall...I had to create a mirror windows CD with motherboard drivers slipstreamed into the CD because Dell didn't have the drivers necessary to do a reinstall of windows on their own CD. So, in doing that, reinstallation worked fine (ish).

Now I'm at the point of another clean format/reinstall. The reason why I determined that I needed to do this, was: Yesterday I decided to install new nvidia drivers as I was getting blue screens trying to download the sc2 beta game. my graphics card is a 9400 GT. after doing that, i was still getting blue screens, so i thought i better go back to older drivers...no luck..still getting freezing and blue screens.

i decided i better completely uninstall the nvidia drivers...my only problem being i uninstalled by accident ALL the nvidia drivers, even my ethernet ones..SO, I got out my dell drivers CD trying to install them..it didn't work! i got blue screens all over the place.

so i thought well, it might be time for a fresh format/reinstall so i'll do that...i slipped in my mirrored windows CD and all went well..until it got time to install my drivers from the dell drivers CD...my cd rom/dvd rom drives were not being detected! i couldn't run a CD!

So i tried reinstalling again...same problem, wouldn't detect the CD ROM.

So, I tried doing a repair on windows..and doing fresh installs..and that's when I started getting blue screens after the formatting and checking files process..right after the windows xp logo came on the black screen and it loaded up to the windows xp GUI before doing the installation. I've gotten fatal exception errors, an lsass.sys error where it just kept looping and rebooting itself..i've gotten a win32k.sys error blue screen..every time it seems i get a different error.

I've had so many problems with this Dell computer it's not funny, and I'm at my wits end here. Should I just give up and go buy a new (non Dell) computer? Cause I just don't know what I can do.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Might try a new CD/DVD burner. They start at $18.99 with free shipping at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.co.....Free Shipping

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before going through all the steps to reinstall:
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

newsox

newsox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I know my CD rom works...I could install windows from it before. My problem now is..I can't even install windows! I put the CD in, I boot from the CD and start the windows installation, I can select where I want it to install etc...it formats the drive, checks the files..and then when it goes to the installation of windows..that's where i get the big errors and blue screens and i can go no further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sorry was just asking and suggesting to check.
Good luck

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Is the shiny side of your Windows CD dirty or scratched?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS to factory defaults?

It could also be a Hardware problem. Have you run a diagnostic test on both the RAM and Hard Drive?

RAM
Hard Drive