Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after numlock boot up

• Please log in to reply

NicceLe

NicceLe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After numerous different kind of errors over a long period of time everything culminated today as my system crashed into a black screen just after BIOS loaded and numlock booted up but before XP started loading.

Since then my system crash with black screen at every start up attempt. BIOS menu is available but it's not possible to boot up in safe mode.

I suspect some kind of overheating issue as I don't have an extra chassi fan. Besides, I guess it could be some motherboard error if it wasn't for the fact that I replaced it less than a year ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Go into the BIOS, reset it to factory defaults, save and reboot.

Go back into the BIOS and see if it is able to identify the hard drive, (show the model number of the hard drive).

Let us know what you find ...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I suspect some kind of overheating issue as I don't have an extra chassi fan

This must mean a desktop.
When was the last time the fans were cleaned and the dust removed?

NicceLe

NicceLe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I installed a new fan and everything seemed to be working, although I'm not so sure it was the fan that made the case. A few days later thue, the problems came back.

This time instead of a black screen replacing Windows start-up screen I'm stuck after the boot prompt displaying that a boot record was found. I've tried to run a repair installation but the Windows Installation CD can not find a Windows partition and lists my C:-partition as damaged.

Edited by NicceLe, 16 July 2010 - 07:27 AM.

Peterkorse12

Peterkorse12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think there is a problem with your system operating system configuration. Check out the BIOS and make its settings default. Then insert your operating system's installation CD and reboot the system. It is listing you that your C partition has been damaged so I think there is only one thing can do and that is totally formation of system.

NicceLe

NicceLe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I managed to fix the boot sector with the recovery console so now my drive is visible again. It doesn't boot up thue, as NTLDR seems to be missing. This could have been fixed in the recovery console aswell if it wasn't for the fact that now I get BSODs while trying to enter the recovery console.

I've tested switching video card, I unplugged two of my other harddisk, my motherboard is new as of less than a year. Clearly it's hardware-related but what could be the problem?

How do I fail search in the ringht way?

How do I re-set my BIOS?

Edited by NicceLe, 17 July 2010 - 11:00 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

How do I re-set my BIOS?

In the BIOS/CMOS Setup, look for something like "Load BIOS Defaults", "Load BIOS Setup Defaults", "F6: FailSafe Defaults", "F6: Fail-Safe Defaults", etc.

Another way to do it is to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Some motherboards also have a jumper that can be used to reset the CMOS.

NicceLe

NicceLe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Reset BIOS, still with same problems.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Is the BIOS able to identify the hard drive, (show the model number of the hard drive)?

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 July 2010 - 05:15 AM.

NicceLe

NicceLe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Uhm. Yes.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...opic28744.html). Make sure you select tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD. If downloaded file is a ".iso", use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD, (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide a diagnostic tool.

(Thanks to Broni for these instructions).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I ran across a note one time where Hitachi diagnostics claims to be able to read other drives.