Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Overheating (Acer Aspire 5536)

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
My Acer Aspire 5536 laptop is having some major overheating issues. I have been using SpeedFan 4.40 to test temps.

The CPU temp at idle is usually anywhere around 60-75 degrees C. Which in itself seems a little high, however with a little more strain on the system (primarily graphics), the temperatures soar.

This evening for example I played a few rounds of Halo (easily within the capabilities of the laptop) and after around 40 minutes I was starting to sweat from the heat being put out by the laptop. I checked SpeedFan to find, in my horror, that the laptop was running at 101 degrees C !!!!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I plan to buy a cooling tray but surely the laptop should perform under such little effort at a sensible and safe temperature?? Even using basic applications like Adobe Photoshop it starts to get pretty hot.

The laptop is less than a year old and temperatures were recorded when the laptop was being used on a desk/table.

Edited by tiroshii, 11 July 2010 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
According to the specs based on your profile, that AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-64 has a reported maximum operating temp of 100°C by AMD. Is that 101°C the over all temp in your case or on the CPU core? Either way that is hot.

The first thing you need to check is to make sure your vents are gunked up and are allowing the fans to pull air in and through the laptop case. If the vents are blocked so that the fans won't draw in adequate air flow to cool the hardware, it can make things run hot.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

According to the specs based on your profile, that AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-64 has a reported maximum operating temp of 100°C by AMD. Is that 101°C the over all temp in your case or on the CPU core? Either way that is hot.

The first thing you need to check is to make sure your vents are gunked up and are allowing the fans to pull air in and through the laptop case. If the vents are blocked so that the fans won't draw in adequate air flow to cool the hardware, it can make things run hot.

According to the software it's the Core temp. Haven't had a chance to take everything apart to check it much but all vents look fine from the outside, however the confusing part is, the vents under the CPU itself are blanks - by this I mean they have been cut but there is a solid layer of plastic within the case which closes them off. The only other inlet is on the front of the laptop under the track pad, when the CPU (and the heat) is at the rear.

Could it help if I used a dremel to cut out where it seems the vent should be?

Edited by tiroshii, 11 July 2010 - 06:50 PM.

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't know much about that particular model, but I would not recommend doing that. It would definitely void any warranty you have on the laptop. I know folks who have modified their laptop cases to help with cooling, but I have never done that. Now, as far as desktops, I have, but not lappys. Typically the laptop cases are designed to operate within a certain temperature range, and if yours is over heating, it could be that the heatsink or fan on the CPU is not working properly; so cutting holes or extra vent slots won't necessarily solve the problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If still under warranty, and you can manage without it for a couple of weeks, I would be returning it for investigation and possible repair.

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Hi.

If still under warranty, and you can manage without it for a couple of weeks, I would be returning it for investigation and possible repair.

I agree with iammykl here. Most manufacturers offer a standard 1 year limited warranty on parts and labor; however, it is best to check with Acer to see what is actually covered. My Asus UL80VT-A1 has a really good warranty, and if it breaks or anything fails on it in the first year, Asus will replace it. You can go to Acer's site and put in your serial number to see if your laptop is still under warranty and what is covered under said warranty.

twistt80

twistt80

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I was wandering if you sorted out the overheating problems of your laptop? My friend's laptop suffers exactly the same problem and I had exact idea to cut out those wholes to let the air be suck into the laptop.
Cheers
Pawel

kmanpilkers

kmanpilkers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I have the same model of laptop and same overheating issue. I would also like to know if you did anything to solve the issue. Speed fan shows the core to be running at 61C-ish when doing very little (web browsing). I was thinking of taking it apart to reapply thermal paste to the CPU, but never having taken apart a laptop before I am terrified I will lose something or won't be able to get it back together again :D

Karlis Jakadels

Karlis Jakadels

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just resolved same problem with my aspire 5536g and made little post about it... it's now working like it should... http://lifehacker.pr...ating-resolved/

smurf1978

smurf1978

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I also have the same over heating problem on this model only mine shuts down when playing games and I have no idea why. Can any one help?
:)

Advertisements

Karlis Jakadels

Karlis Jakadels

• Pip
  • 2 posts
read that post above yours... exactly about your problem... if you dont want to dissasemble your laptop, than just take some baintbrush with long hairs (to get inside about 2cm) and poke through that radiator together with vacuuming...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just read your solution. I think it is a crazy thing to do.
What happens to all those flakes and shavings of steel?

They will end up INSIDE your laptop. A very undesirable scenario. .

Kjuno

Kjuno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Helooooo, i registered just to help you guys!
So, i have same laptop, and have had same issues with heat. Amd QL-64 likes to get hot, indeed, but it solveable; just replace thermal paste, and problem is solved, couse stock thermal paste is crap. And some cleaning is neccesseary once in a while! After replacing the paste, got temperature down to 39-70(max) °C,before was 75 - 100..
Here is link to my domestic forum, u wont understand a word, probably, but the pictures should say everything :-))

http://www.forum.hr/...ad.php?t=577191

images, how it shouldn't look like..

Edited by Kjuno, 24 January 2012 - 03:04 PM.

Loren Wyght

Loren Wyght

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I was also not happy with the noise and heat of the Acer Aspire 5536 and started to disassemble it myself. I have renewed the thermal compound on the CPU. There was also another GPU(?) that had a grey thermal pad on it. However, as I had none available I also used thermal compound to replace as you can see in the second picture.

Before:
OEM_thermal_paste.jpg

After:
ARCTIC_thermal_paste.jpg

I now contemplate opening it again to either change the fan or the whole heatsink. Where could I get those from for a reasonable price?

Alternatively, I could also use a thermal pad for the PU on the left. Does anyone know its size?

What are those two padded elements on the top of the picture?

Thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:welcome: Loren Wyght
You have way too much TIM on the CPU and video chip, if that gets all over the MB and associated components you will have all sorts of problems.
See the TIM tutorial provided courtesy of Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

For future reference do not bump other peoples topics as you may get overlooked.