Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 isnt going past windows screen

• Please log in to reply

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK what happens is I hit power it gives me an option start reg or run windows repair if i go reg itgoes to the windows screen then flashes a blue screen to fast for me to see what it says then resets. If i hit win repair it loads some stuff then goes to a blask screen where i can only move my mouse but nothing else works. I've only had the lap top for couple months now and I have a paper due tommorow that was on it so i need it working asap any ideas? I do have a older copy of the paper but I still want the computer to work asap. Its a toshiba laptob i can get to the setup screens by hitting f2 when it shoes toshiba logo but i cant do anything there that seems usefull.

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello RamzaRuglia...

Have you installed any software or hardware recently?

Try booting to the Advanced Boot Options screen by tapping the F8 key as the machine starts up. Once at that screen, use the arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration" and press Enter. If the machine won't start using that option, boot back to the Options screen and use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode.

If the machine starts using either option, get the files you need, then run a System Restore to a date before the problem started.

Without more information, that's about the best I can offer at the moment.

wannabe1

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK tried f8 and i get the same flashing blue screen for both the safe mode and last known good configuration.

I haven't added any hardware, the most recent software change is a Java update that I did, I cant think of anything else recently.

Edited by RamzaRuglia, 12 July 2010 - 09:45 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When at the Advanced Boot Options screen, is there an option to "Disable Automatic Restart"? If there is (it isn't always available on OEM machines), select that option and press Enter. This should allow the BSOD to stay on the screen so you can see the stop codes.

If you are able to do this, please provide us with the Stop Code and any file names that might be displayed on the screen. Knowing that information may help us pinpoint where the problem is.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well i cant get to the bule screen anymore, now if i try anyhing it ends up at a black screen where i can move the mouse around but nothing else works. I get this screen right after the windows logo. If I just let it run It ends up saying Unable to load Operating system as well as some other stuff. Also when i load the advanced boot options windows repair is no longer a option.