Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use switch in front of router

• Please log in to reply

jamboy

jamboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a DSL modem to a sonic wall router then out to several computers. I want to be able to run one computer in front of the firewall to avoid a user from accessing RDC to a company server. My question is: Can I come from the modem to a multi port switch which will then go to the lone terminal and also the router? Will I be able to access the web from all terminals by doing this? If not how can I get web access to a terminal then put all the other terminals behind the firewall router?

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Alright, is your Company server you RDC to on the same network? OR is out on the internet? If it is out on the internet you need to look at how to secure your end by using policies to disable access to the mstsc.exe file (remote desktop client) for all users but those you authorize. Even if it is internal you should still look at policies to prevent use of remote desktop client by unauthorized users.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah, a better description of exactly what you're wanting to end up with is going to be a big help.

as previously stated, if you don't give someone access to RDP then they can't use it.

does your router have a DMZ port? or the ability to add a DMZ module (not familiar with sonicwall equipment)