Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shopping for a New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am currently looking for a new laptop but can't decide on the best way to go. One of the most important things for me is having a lightweight machine. Very light is very important! It doesn't have to be too small but I need lightness as I carry it everyday everywhere I go. Durability is just as important as I take it all over the place on a motorbike! That's why the Panasonic Let's Note was a good choice 3.5 years ago (very durable, lightweight, and a nice size). I was hoping to spend much less and get something else good this time too. Before my Panasonic, I had a Toshiba Tecra that was too big and heavy and fell apart on a regular basis. It was a pretty decent laptop but a real lemon. I have seen the new Toshiba laptops and they are a zillion times different. They look and feel more durable. However, I am still a bit concerned about getting another one. I probably won't touch the Sony Viaos for the same reason. While they look like beautiful lightweight technology, I am really concerned about their durability.

Ordering internationally is not always possible – it usually depends on the company’s willingness to do so. There can sometimes be problems – some places won’t ship to Japan or the cost of shipping is extremely high. However, there are ways around that (ie) have it shipped to a friend or family member in North America, and have them ship it to me from there.

One more thing… I often like to run several applications simultaneously. How important is memory? I upgraded my current machine from 1 to 2GB of RAM. I know that some new laptops have 8GB of RAM. However, I don’t think it’s easy to get them without compromising the size and price of the laptop. Speed is one of my primary operating concerns.

Edited by capper, 12 July 2010 - 01:20 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Do you need an internal CD/DVD drive?

What size screen?

What applications are you planning to run on it?

Will you be using it for any serious video/picture editing or game playing?