Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation problems

• Please log in to reply

Scott

Scott

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Whats up Geeks, and thanks for all your help. I just got a computer with Lindow OS on it. I want to and tried to install windows xp on it. Needles to say, I probably wasted a bunch of time trying to do it myself, but now after changing the Bios/ boot sequence and starting the comp with the windows disk in the drive i think the last message i got says that i need to partition the drive and have ms-dos boot program on it. how does this get done. I have the windows xp cd and a windows 98 cd, as well as a windows start up floppy disc. I also purchased additional memory which i haven't put on. Does it matter when i put in on the computer?

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome
put in the boot disk start your system at the a:/ type fdisk after that is done reboot with boot disk still in at the a:/ type format c after that is done put win xp in cd-rom take out floppy disk and reboot sytem. ( make sure frist boot is your cd-rom windows should start to install but doing this you will lose all data on your Hard drive.
<_<

Scott

Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Taz thanks for the help, but somthing still is not going right with this install. after i do the fdisk do i create a partition? i've done it both ways creating one and not creating one but the format c comand is not working. i get bad command message, so i can't go any further. what am i doing wrong?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
Are you typing format c with a space between the format and the C?
<_<

Scott

Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i tried it with and without

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts