Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Catologing Software

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
I need to catolouge a bunch of PDF files, around about 200 and would like to know the best way to do this?

Would it be best to create a database in either excel or access and then import it to a different program?
and can anyone recommend some software to do this (either paid or free)
would be handy if it can be accessed over a network from multiple pc's

I heard of a profram called alice enquiry, (used in a library) this is the kind of thing i am after.

Open for any suggestions!

Thanks

Spud

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you wanting to end up with?

like a search-able collection of PDFs?

i've got a package at work (not in use at the moment) called sentryfile. it's a document management product that indexes PDF files (and other document types) based on certain criteria, and stores them in a full text searchable database. you can do auto capture or manual indexing to get the files in there.

it's similar to cornerstone (similar product).

you could also go with a windows sharepoint services site if you've got a 2003 server machine in the building. this would also let you build your own intranet site within the company for other purposes

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
thankyou for your quick reply! :)

yes just like a searchable pdf collection.
i will look in to sentry file and cornerstone now. With these products can you access it from a network, or does it have to be a local machine?

We could have a 2003 server if needed, but we are already on a Intranet and domain here at the university

Thanks again,

Spud

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
both sentryfile and cornerstone are network accessible (you can make them publicly viewable if you want). cornerstone is much more powerful than sentryfile. but it's also obviously much more expensive

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
would these products be easy to set up on a small scale for 6 - 7 computers even if on a large scale network?

thanks again dsenette :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the products i listed are designed for any number of people to be able to use them. they're network accessible so it doesn't really matter how many people you have using the package. however, the cost of either package tends to push people who use them into making sure that more than a handful of people are using the thing

what exactly are you doing?

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
well basically i am working for a research group who would like to have all their published papers and journals organised in one place / drive and be catalogued so that they can easily be searched ect to be referenced to or whatever.

What is the cost of the above to products as i can not seem to find anything on them apart from ask for a quote.

Spudy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure about cornerstone (i think it's somewhere above $10k depending on the package), sentryfile ranges from $2k to $8k depending on the package

your group might be served better by setting up an internal sharepoint server (assuming your IS group is cool with that). i've there's a windows server machine somewhere in the house you can run WSS (Windows Sharepoint Services) for free. then you can create a document workspace for your group and have everything loaded there.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
okay i'll look in to the WSS

do you know of any alternate software as i do think thats slight out of the budget :)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
okay i have found a server. HUGE thing!
not bad specs, really noise though haha

anyway! its running windows xp pro (as it was for running old lab eqipment)

with WSS can i run it on xp?

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope