Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking between Windows 7 and Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

SchmEthan

SchmEthan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been trying to get my Ubuntu PC connected to the internet with very little success. I have an ethernet cable and a laptop which receives a wireless connection from the router (downstairs). Is there any way I can bridge the two connections so I can use Ubuntu online through my laptop's wireless signal?
Thanks

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
What OS is on the laptop? Windows? Ubuntu? If it is windows you will want to go to network properties (right click network neighborhood and click properties.) Then right click your wireless device and click properties again. Across the top you will see a tab bar look for sharing. Click on it, then look for a check box next to "Allow other network users to connect through....." check that box. A window will popup click ok. then ok back out.

Now for a direct connection from computer to computer you are going to need a cat5 (ethernet) patch cable, Your typical cat5 cable will not work as most are straight through(When buying look for Patch cable on the box/package). OR you will need to get a hub or switch to connect the two computers together.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Your typical cat5 cable will not work as most are straight through(When buying look for Patch cable on the box/package).

Aside from Patch Cable those cables are also known as Crossover Cables