Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Hard Drive cable WD dead

• Please log in to reply

zombola

zombola

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I hope someone can help me.
I have a 500GB Western Digital My Book external hard drive, that died. I got in touch with WD and after various confusing emails, it seems that they couldn't replace my drive and if I wanted to retrieve my data it would be costly and take forever blahdy blah. So i thought surely i could do this myself?
It seems fairly common for the chip that powers the drive to go but the drives seem to remain intact, I've seen people use them as regular HD's.
Unfortunately I have a macbook so no tower to plug the drive into.
I have however, seen various cables on ebay that claim to convert SATA to USB 0.2, this is where my knowledge ends though.
I've managed to open the case of the 'my book' and got what looks like a normal HD out. But I am totally unsure on what cable to purchase.
These ebay ones all say SATA 44 pin etc. And that you obviously need a power source for the drive.
Mine has no 'pin' holes. It has two circuit chip looking things sticking out of it, one large and one small - once I have disconnected the 'power chip'. SO how would I power it? ...via the converter cable?
The sticker on the side has a diagram of these chips ( the --- represents the drawing of the chips) and says:

Master/slave jumper not required for SATA
Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enable PUIS (power up in standby)

P15-------P1 S7-----S1 8642
SATA power Serial data Factory Jumper
Settings

I've found a few people online with the same poblem and tutorials but for different drives with different insides. My question is, does anyone know what kind of cable I need to hook this up to my macbook via USB So that I can retrieve my data?

other details for drive:

MDL: WD5000AAVS - OOZTBO
Date: 24 Jan 2008
DCM: DBRNHTJAHB

Thank you

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Check this link, this is probably what your looking for.

http://www.usbgeek.c...hp?prod_id=0349

zombola

zombola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Alzeimer
thanks very much for you reply. The hardware seems exactly the thing I need. My only concern is that the disc only seems to support windows systems and I'm on MAC OS X 10.6.3 snow leopard. Do you think I would need drivers for this kind of thing?
cheers

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I do not know, only windows 98se requires drivers anything after does not and they do not mention Mac OS and I am unfamilir with Mac so I really do not know.

Maybe you should start a thread in the All other Operating Systems and ask if this piece of hardware (Chipset: JMicron-JM20339) is compatible with your Mac OS.

Sorry cannot help more and hopefully someoene else will have an answer for you.

zombola

zombola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No worries Alzeimer
Thank you very much for your help
Ash

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator