Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing 2nd printer

• Please log in to reply

briahoe

briahoe

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am trying to install an Epson Inkjet Photo Printer as a 2nd printer. Main printer is already insatlled via parrallel port and I want to install the Epson via USB. When I go to install it should I have the Epson use Port LPT2? The main printer is already using LPT1. Using the defaults that Windows 7 is giving me is causing errors and the test page for the Epson is printing on the Main Printer(Brother MFC 8500)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you have the installation disk that came with the epson? if not go to the epson website and download the drivers for the printer. install the drivers BEFORE plugging in the printer and it will let you choose to install it as a USB printer.

briahoe

briahoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Do I let install on the default LPT1 port though or do I assign it a new port?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you installing from the CD or the driver download? if it's going to connect to your computer via USB then it needs to be installed on USB. if the printer is USB capable, then the driver installer package will have that as an option

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB Printers don't use LPT port assignments, the install program will effectively create a USB software port on the machine that it'll then use to communicate with said printer.
The most important thing to do with any USB printer is run the CD first, then plug it in when it asks you to. Don't plug it in then run the CD because it won't work.