Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mounting brackets breaking - third one!

• Please log in to reply

Cm002300

Cm002300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So after seeing that something was loose I checked the screws. Apparently there were a few that were very loose, as in if you tapped one it moved. Not sure how that happened but I think it may be the reason. I also check the bracket that I had not touched and the screws holding it were loose as well.

The bacK actually has no fan and I don't know the sizes either.
Posted Image

The front does, though for some reason it came out hard to see. I'll probably just keep using the desk fan, it seemed to be helping.
Posted Image

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You should probably get a fan for the back. They are measured on the housing (not blades) from side-to-side (not diagonally). Typical sizes for cases are 80mm, 93mm, and 120mm. So the space between the center of two mounting holes will be a little less - a quick check here shows about 72mm for 80mm fans, and 105mm for 120s. Bigger is better because they move more air, and are usually quieter. It looks like you have some sort of snap in mounting bracket in back, so that would make it easier. You would only need to worry about getting power to it. Fans typically have two arrows molded in the housing, one showing blade rotation and the other showing flow direction. Rear fans blow out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure about you Digerati but that fan pic in post 16 looks extremely dirty and possibly clogged with dirt. A potential over heating issue there.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah. The case vent for it looks dirty too. I inspect my computers monthly for heat trapping dust, and clean when necessary. My cases without filters require a good cleaning every 2 or 3 months, and my cases with washable, removable filters every 4 - 5. That is why any new case I buy will have removable, washable filters.

The frequency depends on many factors - how many hours/day the system is on, number of fan pulling air (and dust) in, location of the PC (if near where people walk and stir up dust, you will have to clean more often) and the number of dander and hair shedding mammals living in the house. Cats are the worse as their hair and dander is very oily and sticky. Smokers in the house, and smoking around the computers makes a big difference as well as the tar is sticky.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) I couldn't agree more with your statement.
I have to clean mine every couple of weeks since mine runs 24\7 and I have both cats and dogs.
Smoking not a problem as we go outside for that.

Cm002300

Cm002300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Got everything in today and seem to be running smoothly as well as cooler at working temp. Cleaned everything out because it was a bit dirty :)
We have quite a few pets as well so did a complete sweep of the area and made sure that was well too. Again thank you both for all your help and advice, hopefully now I'll have a happier computer :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you have pets I would suggest checking it at the most every month.
If anyone smokes around the system then I would suggest checking it every 2 weeks as smoke will just grab every piece of dirt and hair in the air.
I'm glad to hear it is running better and cooler with the new parts and please let us know how everything works out for you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the follow up and I agree to inspect the interior frequently, and cleaning as necessary.