Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I have some feedback on this system?

• Please log in to reply

manfronix

manfronix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm thinking of buying this system. It's pre built and the parts can't be switched. I can upgrade myself later though. The total cost is USD$830 delivered to me here in Japan. The system will be used mainly for gaming/media playing/networking.

Any comments or view on the below spec would be greatly appreciated.

Processor: INTEL CORE i7 860 2.8GHZ Quad Core CPU W/SCYTHE SHURIKEN REV.B SCSK 1100 100mm Low Profile Low Noise CPU Cooler

Case: SILVERSTONE SG06B Mini-iTX Premium SFF Case W/ 80+ certified SFX 300 Watts PSU - Measures only: 11.26" x 8.66" x 6.97"

Motherboard: ZOTAC H55ITX-A-E MINI ITX MOTHERBOARD WITH WIRELESS N

Memory: 4GB(2 x2048MB) G.SKILL ULTRA LOW-VOLTAGE 1.35V ECO SERIES DDR3 1333 Performance Ram

Hard Drive: 1 x Kingston SSD SATA 128GB Solid State Hard Drive

Video Card: Saphire 100245HDMI ATI Radeon HD 4850 Video Card with GDDR3 512MB Memory

DVD Drive: Sony Slim 8X DVD SATA Multi-Writer

Advertisements

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello and welcome manfronix to GTG.com.

My biggest concern I see with the system you have listed is that 300 Watt PSU. Your system will use approximately 298 watts at 90% utilization which I roughly figured by hand. You are looking at just barely having enough juice to run your system , and that is with a new parts. As electronic hardware ages, components will become less efficient including your PSU. In addition, this doesn't include you upgrading any of your hardware in the future.

Using MSI's PSU calculator, it figured 368 Watts. If MSI's PSU calculator is more accurate than my rough calculations, then you won't have enough power. You need to really go with a beefer PSU say at least in the 500 watt range.

Hope that helps.