Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD stop error 0x000000BE on loading Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

praziquantum

praziquantum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
BSOD stop error 0x000000BE on loading Windows XP

I can't load Windows XP in normal or safe mode ... I keep getting the following BSOD / GSOD (green) error: "An attempt was made to write to read-only memory" with Stop error 0x000000BE (0x806FE800, 0x006FE121, 0xF78AE784, 0x0000000B) at the Windows XP start-up screen.

Over the last few days I cleaned a few viruses (maybe 1 or 2 rootkits) off my computer using Spybot S&D, Super AntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, AntiVir, CWShredder, HiJackThis, several other online anti-virus/malware scanning engines and then cleaned the leftover temp files and registry keys using CCleaner and RegistryBooster. Throughout the process, I made several registry backups using ERUNT. Windows XP did not have any noticeable problems loading throughout all this.

Last night, I installed DataPilot software by Susteen (used to backup data from cell phones). This software installs over 300 registry entries along with numerous [unsigned] cell phone drivers. The installation seemed to go well and Windows XP loaded up fine 2-3 times after the initial install.

When I booted up the computer this morning, I received the BSOD error. The BSOD screen was actually greenish colored (GSOD) instead of the normal blue color. I have tried all of the following but still receive the BSOD error: I disconnected all USB devices and rebooted; I used some compressed air to clean out the case; I reseated the RAM; I de-/re-attached the hard drives; I tried “last known good configuration”. When I try “Safe Mode”, “Safe Mode with Networking” or “Safe Mode with Command Prompt I notice that all drivers load up to a question asking “Press enter to continue loading SPTD.sys” … whether I press enter or not, I still get the BSOD. (I noticed that SPTD is related to Daemon tools. I uninstalled Daemon tools last week and didn’t notice any problems at that time. I guess SPTD may still be trying to load. Disabling the “SPTD” service via the Recovery Console did not affect the BSOD error.)

A few other things I tried, but no improvement …
* Chkdsk fixed a few errors
* I tried restoring a previous “good” registry via ERUNT
* From the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), I ran the following: Memtest86+ (no faults detected after 16 cycles), Windows Memory Diagnostics (no faults detected after 6 cycles)

I can’t use restore points because I stopped those during the virus removal steps (they contained some viruses).

I just burned a UBCD4Win DVD to look for faulty registry entries (like a deleted or disabled safeboot).

I read that I can use NirSoft's BlueScreenView to read the minidumps to look for problematic drivers. The BSOD screen is not showing that it is saving minidumps nor could I find any recent minidumps in the “C:\Windows\minidump” directory. So, how do I access the minidumps (if they are being produced) when I can’t load Windows XP?

If the problem is related to bad drivers and/or registry entries made by DataPilot, how can I identify and remove those without being logged in to Windows XP?

System specs:
Asus P6T V2
Core i7 920
Corsair Dominator RAM
Windows XP SP3

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Over the last few days I cleaned a few viruses (maybe 1 or 2 rootkits)

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

praziquantum

praziquantum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually, I do those things as part of general maintenance on a weekly/monthly basis. However, none of those are options for me as Windows XP will not load.

Some new observations and discoveries since my previous post:
•After reviewing file dates, I realized that the most recent software event prior to the crash was the auto-uninstall of a-squared Anti-Malware and install of Emsisoft Anti-Malware … while requesting an update, the software suggested to auto-uninstall and re-install the upgraded software
•Found and corrected a few errors using CHKDSK /r
•I checked all default application start-up locations for suspicious files … I found “VYOTKCEEQS” in the RUN path referencing a non-existent temp file and removed it
•Some items in the RUN path were preceded by semi-colons (i.e., ;C:\WINDOWS\system32) … I noticed that this occurred after running some anti-malware software and RegistryBooster last week but did not seem to affect normal rebooting … I removed all the semi-colons; a few items with semi-colons would not save without the semi-colons
•Hardware abstraction layer (khalmnpr.exe) was listed twice (once for Logitech mouse and one for windows)
•Some items in the RUN path were surrounded by quotes while others where not … don’t know if that’s important
•I re-tested the memory with HCI memtest and MemTest86+ v4.10 … no errors detected after several hours

When I select any of the Safe modes, Windows crashes (with the stop code listed above) just after loading a bunch of drivers. No crash dump files are created. I was able to access the registry via PCRegEdit (on Hiren's Boot CD) and enabled all crash dump / minidump reporting. I also set the paging file to 1024 to ensure enough space for recording the crash dumps. Still no crash dumps are being recorded at the default locations. I would consider disabling drivers but I don't know which to disable first (there are many drivers listed); maybe I'll consider the file dates. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get the crash dumps to work again? Is there an offline Windows event viewer that would help?

Edited by praziquantum, 14 July 2010 - 03:35 AM.