Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smitfraud killed my computer

• Please log in to reply

crash11

crash11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I got the smitfraud message on my startup screen, was in the process of removing it and my computer froze, and the screen went blank. I restarted, and now after the "windows is starting up" screen, it goes blank. What can I do??

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hello this is steve. I experienced this smitfraud bug on one of my custmers computrers. Nasty bug! Had the same problem.
Are you familiar with doing a registry replacement / repair proceedure? If you are, id suggest you do this. If you are not, its not too difficult and I can direct you to the windows site that has this info on how to do this.
Theres hope that doing a proceedure like this can bring you back into windows so you can pick a restore point to boot off of that is b4 you got this malware. It worked for me....steve

crash11

crash11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am not familiar with a registry replacement/repair procedure. If you could direct me to the site with information on this procedure I would appreciate it.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
crash11 , for me its a relatively easy proceedure. Not knowing you and your level of intimacy with a computer, it might appear to be a difficult undertaking. Heres the site anyhow:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

crash11

crash11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks, steve. I'll check it out, and post back if I have any problems.