Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Out of town email problems

• Please log in to reply

wildair

wildair

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I am out of town, and staying at a motel, I can connect to the Wireless or plug in to the Ethernet, and receive email with no problem on either connections. However, about 99.8% of the time, I cannot send email, even connected to the ethernet.

At home there is no problem even on wireless. I am using a Dell Inspiron Netbook running windows XP Home or a Dell laptop, running Vista.

There is plenty of memory and space on the harddrive, as these are relatively new.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a personal laptop or a work laptop?

how are you sending/receiving email? outlook? outlook express? other? where is the email account? work email or webmail?

wildair

wildair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
These are both personal laptops. Outlook Express, Thunderbird are on both. Emails are on Roadrunner, but this has also happened when I had a state based server for all the large metro areas in the state.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Road Runner's SMTP (send mail server) may require authentication. In other words, it may need to know who you are before it'll let you send email using their SMTP servers.

Try this ...

In Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts... > <your_account_name> then the Properties button.

Click the Servers tab, check (enable) the little box to the left of "My server requires authentication".

Click the Settings... button and make sure the "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected.

Click OK. Click Apply > OK. Click Close.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's a chance that the hotels that you're staying at are blocking SMTP traffic