Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Quad-Core refusing to give out the right juice

• Please log in to reply

Coeco

Coeco

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Basically i upgraded from an old Dual-Core to a new 3.4 Quad-Core and it simply isn't giving any boost, rather just more problems. Bought it so i could play a very open-scale MMO game without success, i contacted the support explaining my problems and they had this to say:

"Hello Coecoo,

Thanks for the email. We appreciate you contacting us.
This looks to be a problem with your CPU running at 1.6 GHZ rather than the advertised 3.4. Go into the Bios and disable AMD Cool n Quiet."

Putting the thoughts aside why i should decrease the life of my processor just to play an game I'm already supposed to i head to BIOS, change the settings and attempt to boot up instantly greeted with a failure getting an weird symbol in the top left of my screen where window's is supposed to load.

Hysterical enough, I sent another past ticket with the exact same explanation and they told me it was a "memory" leak so i upgraded to 7.1gb and now they're giving me yet another story so now I'm basically stuck with Windows Index Experience telling me that my processor juice got cut in half after an upgrade, BIOS setting changes that won't let me start up and an gaming computer i pretty much can't play games with due to lag and an customer support that doesn't give valid advice.

Help, anyone?

Attached Files

Edited by Coeco, 13 July 2010 - 10:30 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, something not right here.
According to Gigabyte, that board doesn't support the use of a X4 965 processor at al so it shouldn't work at all.

I fear the only way you'll get it to run at the advertised 3.4Ghz speed is to overclock it from what the board thinks it is.
Did you have a processor in it before you put this quad-core in? What was your old Dual-Core processor?

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Um, something not right here.
According to Gigabyte, that board doesn't support the use of a X4 965 processor at al so it shouldn't work at all.

I fear the only way you'll get it to run at the advertised 3.4Ghz speed is to overclock it from what the board thinks it is.
Did you have a processor in it before you put this quad-core in? What was your old Dual-Core processor?

I already carefully checked that possibility before buying it and i confirmed several times that it is indeed compatible with my current motherboard as to this date with these links

http://www.cpu-world.....FBGMBOX).html

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3008#sp

http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3008

along with several people from the live-chat.

My old processor was an

Processor: AMD Athlon™ X2 240 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Edited by Coeco, 13 July 2010 - 10:41 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, it categorically stated at http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3008 which is a corrected version of what you've linked to on Gigabyte's website:

Phenom II X4 965 3400MHz 512KBx4 6MB BIOS version N/A, otherwise known as Not Supported.

This is the only reason I can come to as it comes up at 1.6Ghz and not 3.4. The board doesn't know it's a 3.4Ghz processor.

When you switch the machine on and you get the POST screen (where it tells you about the processor, the memory and the hard drives and stuff like that), what does it actually say on your screen? If you actually have a pretty picture you can usually press TAB or ESC to see the writing.

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Wow. Talk about hiding information. I'm gonna have the processor sent back and order a new one since theres only 1-2 days left of my returned-purchase guarantee. Strange that people in the Live-Help chat said it was compatible though, could've sworn that the other links said it was as well.