Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection timed out

• Please log in to reply

AZCMer

AZCMer

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I belong to several forums and there is one forum in particular that I cannot get into. I normally go to this forum almost daily and normally have it set up to automatically log me in when I go there. I do not have any trouble surfing the web or accessing any other websites. When I go this particular forum, I get this message:

The connection has timed out
The server at www.grillflame.net is taking too long to respond.

Both Firefox and IE don't work. I am in contact with other members and they are able to get into the forum and post. Can you help me with this problem?

Advertisements

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am still having this problem.

I've run scans, cleared caches and cookies and whatnot, uninstalled and reinstalled browsers and antivirus software.

My error is: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Perhaps I still have malware on my computer? This thread is where I was first helped: Trojan Bancos . . .

Should I repost? Should I continue to wait? Did I post in the wrong forum?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Strange problem you got there. I am also able to get to that site just fine.

First thing we want to try is to see if your computer can 'talk' to that address at all. Please do the following:
  • Click on START-->RUN and type in cmd and hit Enter if you have XP. If you have Vista, click on START and then click in the "Start Search" box and type in cmd and hit Enter. If you have Windows 7, click on START and click in the box that says "Search programs and files".and type in cmd and hit Enter.[list]
  • In the black window that appears, type in: ping www.grillflame.net and hit Enter. You should see something similar to the following:

Pinging grillflame.net [204.16.247.150] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 204.16.247.150: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=53
    Reply from 204.16.247.150: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=53

Let me know if you see something similar to that, or if you see "Request timed out" or anything else.
  • What I'd also like you to do is post a Trace Route to www.grillflame.net as well. To do this, type tracert www.grillflame.net >C:\tracert.txt in that same black window where we just did the ping. Once you see a command prompt again, go to your C drive, and you will see the tracert.txt file there. Open it up and copy/paste the contents into your reply.
Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 07:12 AM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thank you so much Fenor for replying. I know this issue is so weird! I've been in contact with the forum administrator and she doesn't know what to make of it either.

I went to cmd this is what I got:

ping grillflame.net
pinging grillflame.net [204.16.247.150]with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 204.16.247.150:
Packets: Sent=4 Received=0 Lost=4 <100%loss>.

I then did the tracert and got the response access denied. I then looked for the file that ought to have been created and it wasn't there.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try pinging the following IP address, and see if you get the same 'request timed out' message.

204.16.247.150 (You would just type: ping 204.16.247.150 in the black window and hit Enter)

Also, go to START-->RUN and type: C:. In the new window that appears, do you see a file called tracert (or tracert.txt)?

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 11:11 AM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thank you Fenor.

I pinged again with the ip address and got the exact same response. . . timed out 4x.

I also went to C: as per your instructions and there was no file there with that name. I'm guessing that my computer didn't even run the request which would be odd since I have administrative privileges.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What security software do you have installed? Try disabling it, and then try to get to that website again.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi Fenor,

I have McAfee and I disabled the firewall and virus protection software and still couldn't get to the site. The tab on the browser says 'Problem loading page'. The error on the page says the connection timed out.

I also have OpenDNS running. I'm not sure how to disable that or if that is something that would be keeping me from seeing the site.

Anymore ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can get to that website. Of course while in safe mode DO NOT try to login to the website if you are indeed able to get to it, because your computer is completely unprotected while you are in safe mode. Once you are able to (or not able to) get to the website, reboot the computer back into normal windows and post your results here.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi Fenor,

I rebooted into safe mode with networking and tried navigating to www.grillflame.net/forums. I was not successful and got this error:
Internet Explorer cannot display webpage.

Do you think I still have a trojan or worm or whatever that is preventing me from accessing this site? I've run through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and haven't gotten any errors, but when this first happened I did find malware on my computer. (see my second response on this thread to the Trojan Bancos thread) After that was cleaned, I did get back into the forum, but then one day I couldn't anymore. No scans have turned up anything other than cookies.

Also, I was wondering if there was anything in my registry that would prevent me from getting to that forum.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate someone else being able to think through this because I sure haven't been able to. :-)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You say you went through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, but did you post a topic in the Malware forum itself like it says at the end of that Guide? If you haven't, I suggest you do so and make sure they give you a clean bill of health. If they do, and you are still unable to go to that website, then please return to this topic and we will pursue other courses of action.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Okay. Thank you so much for your time.

I've already been through there when this issue came back up. It has taken so long to get a response about this issue. I've actually posted it a couple of times and the threads expired with no responses.

It hardly seems like a malware issue, but what do I know?

I'll post there and see what happens.

Thanks for your time.
;-)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It never hurts to get your computer checked out when it costs nothing but time. :)

But as for your issue, I would suggest you contact your ISP and see if they can find out if there might be a problem with the routing on their end. It probably isn't, but it would be a good thing to rule out, and if it indeed is there problem, gravy. :)

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi Fenor,

Yep, I did contact my ISP first and they do claim they are not blocking that website. Their tech support claim they can see it, but I can't. So, here I came. lol.

I even contacted McAfee to see if their software was causing a problem.

Once I figure this out and get it fixed, I'm betting my forum days are numbered because this is taking too much time.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Would it be possible for you to get a friend/family member to come over to your home and plug their laptop into your Internet and see if they can get to that site using your Internet connection? that would help rule out your computer and/or the router/modem.