Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection timed out

• Please log in to reply

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Good Morning Fenor,

Are you saying that if another laptop could get to grillflame through my internet connection, then it wouldn't be my computer, but the ISP?

Could it be my router? or my modem?

I did try my daughter's laptop and she cannot access the site either. I did not know whether that would be a valid test since she lives here. However, she isn't apt to ever go to that forum on her own.

I can see if I can get another friend to come by and use their laptop on my network to get in.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Are you saying that if another laptop could get to grillflame through my internet connection, then it wouldn't be my computer, but the ISP?

No.

If the other computer CAN get through to the website fine on your Internet connection, then the problem is with your computer.

If the other computer CANNOT get through to the website fine on your Internet connection, then the problem is with either your router, cable/dsl modem, and/or ISP.

It will just help to rule things out and narrow down the search to who/what is at fault.

I can see if I can get another friend to come by and use their laptop on my network to get in.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing the results!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hold the phone.

I did try my daughter's laptop and she cannot access the site either. I did not know whether that would be a valid test since she lives here. However, she isn't apt to ever go to that forum on her own.

So you are saying you tried your daughters laptop, and she couldn't get to it either?

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Fenor,

I did write that. I was thinking though (and this is going to sound stupid) that her computer got whatever my computer had and therefore couldn't be a valid test.

Then I went and got an IPod Touch and tried getting on using Safari on the Touch and got the error:
Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.

So, if my ISP was telling me the truth, then the problem is with either my router or cable modem. My router is only a couple of months old whereas my cable modem is a couple of years old. Perhaps that is the next place to look.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would take your router out of the equation, and plug your computer directly into the modem provided by your ISP, and see if you can get to that site.

Let me know how that goes.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi Fenor,

I took the router off and am now accessing the internet just through my cable modem and Guess What!!???!!

I can get into grillflame without the router.

I would have never thunk that the router (Linksys E2000) would keep me from a specific site. Is there a way to fix this?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Awesome news!

The easiest solution would just be to restore the router to factory defaults, and then just reconfigure the wireless part of it.

But if you want to, you can always navigate around the settings for the router and see if there is anything there that would be putting a block on grillflame.net.

Edited by Fenor, 02 August 2010 - 01:49 PM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Fenor,

How would one restore the router to factory defaults? I think the only thing I've updated is the firmware.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You've updated the firmware, so I am guessing you know how to going to the website address of 192.168.1.1 right?

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
yes.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well then, first thing we wanna do is going to that website and then click on the Access Restrictions at the top of the page.

Once on that page, scroll down to "Website blocking by URL address" and see if there is anything related to grillflame.net there. Check the rest of that page as well. If you find anything, obviously delete it and click Save at the bottom of the page.

If you don't find anything related to Grillflame.net there, then it is time to backup your wireless settings, which you can get to by clicking on Wireless and then jot down the Network Name (SSID), Security type, and the Security key/passphrase.

Once that is done, click on Administration on the top and then click on Restore All Settings button and follow the instructions on the screen for resetting the router to factory defaults.

Once the router is reset to defaults, try to access grillflame.net again.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Ok. Done and done.

Still no grillflame.

Online with Linksys and they are sending me a new modem. They are saying my modem is defective and since it is still under warranty, they will be replacing it.

I still don't understand how a router can keep one website at bay, but it did. I'm guessing there are others out there, but I haven't run across any other websites I'd been denied access to.

Fenor, I am very grateful for you and the time you have taken to help me figure this out. Thank you so much.

AZCMer

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That is very strange indeed, especially after a reset to factory defaults, but I am glad to see that Linksys is sending you out a replacement. Everything should be good once it arrives.

I am glad we figured out where the problem was! :)

Fenor

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Me Too!

I had my previous router for years and this one was new. I never thought it could prevent me from accessing one site in particular. Hopefully, in a couple of days all this will be done with the installation of a new router.