Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new CPU - System will not POST

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

My motherboard is the Foxconn NFORCE 590 SLI and my old processor was an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ running at 2.2GHz. I decided to replace the CPU with a faster quad core. The new processor is the AMD Phenom 2 x4 940 Black Edition Deneb running at 3.0GHz. Normally, when I turn my computer on, all fans spin up and are very loud for about 10 seconds and then drop down when they realize the system is cool. When I first turned on the PC after installing the new CPU, the fans kept running loud and the system wouldn't POST. I assumed I had accidentally installed the cooling fan backwards on the CPUs Heatsink so opened the case to find that wasn't the problem. The fan, was in fact, directing air into the heatsink. There is no video and there's never the "beep" from POST. I removed my RAM chips and turned it on to see if it would beep an error because of the missing RAM but it didn't. It's like it won't even start to POST. Last resort? I reset the BIOS; still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I presume your actual motherboard model is the C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H?

If so, this is an original AM2 board. It's not going to support a Phenom processor. These original AM2 boards unfortunately do not support the newer AM2/AM3 processors. They physically fit but they won't work.

No, unfortunately you'd need to replace the board with an AM2+ or AM3 model, I'm afraid to use that processor.

Sorry.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Neil:

Well, as bad as the information is, I still appreciate you giving it to me. This prevented me from spending too much time trying to fix the problem.

I'll check into a new MB soon.

Thanks for the information. Suppose I know what I'll be doing this afternoon - reinstalling my old processor. :)

Thanks,

magus