Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Lost Desktop / Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_<
I was using my laptop last evening when a popup telling me that I had spyware on my computer and asking me if I would like it removed came up. I clicked no on it and then I heard on the news that this was going around and you would lose your desktop from it. Sure enough, the next time I booted up, there was no desktop.
My laptop doesn't have a cd rom so I originally installed Windows 95 on it with floppies and then used an external cd rom to put on Windows 98 upgrade. I heard that the only way to aleviate this problem is to reinstall Windows. I have tried to reinstall with the floppies but it says that I can't because the operating system is already on there. I tried with the external cd rom but I must have lost my drive when this happened. How do I go about fixing this problem? Is there a way I can uninstall so that I can reinstall?
Really could use someone's help.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome ferndoodle :D

I think you'll be glad your installation of Windows wasn't successful, becasue that's a little drastic for the problem you describe. <_<

A couple questions? When you say your desktop is gone, does that mean you can still load Windows? Are your icons and desktop background just missing?

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yes, Windows loads but all I get is the blue screen for the desktop minus the icons and task bar.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This was likely caused by a virus. There have been reports of this occurring when restarting the computer after receiving a dialog box that displays "Virus/spyware found. Do you wish to remove?" or "Do you want to install Spyware Monitor?" The dialog box only has Yes or No selections, and selecting either can cause the issue. There is no X to close the dialog box, however pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE to bring up the Close Program dialog box lists a "Remove found spyware?" entry, which can be terminated with the End Task button.

After restarting Windows 98 or Windows Me, the taskbar is then missing and there are no icons. (When starting Windows, the taskbar may flash on for a brief second and then disappear.) The only thing visible is the background wallpaper and the mouse cursor. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE brings up the Close Program dialog box, but selecting End Task on the items on the list may not have an effect. When the computer is started into Safe mode, the issue still occurs. Running Scanreg /Restore does not resolve the issue. But, you shouldn't have to reinstall Windows.

After your system is running you will need to purchase antivirus software, or complete an free online virus scan here.

If you own or purchase Norton Antivirus, use the Norton Rescue disk or Norton AntiVirus CD to scan the computer for a virus.

Else, try this:

1. Restart the computer and begin pressing the F8 key in one-second intervals. If you complete this step successfully, the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu is displayed. If no menu is displayed and Windows starts up normally, repeat this step.

2. At the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Command prompt only, and then press the ENTER key.

3. At the command prompt, type: cd windows\system32. Press ENTER.

4. At the C:\windows\system32 prompt, type: copy shdocvw.bak shdocvw.dll. Press ENTER. If entered successfully, the screen should display 1 file copied.

5. Press CTRL_ALT+DELETE to restart the computer.

6. Once back in Windows, the issue may reoccur if the "Virus/spyware found. Do you wish to remove?" or "Do you want to install Spyware Monitor?" dialog box displays again. If you see one of these suspicious dialog boxes, press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys to open the Close Program dialog box. Choose End Task for the entry. Do not click Yes or No, as this may trigger the issue to occur when the computer is restarted.

If Windows starts successfully, immediately run a virus can, update your antivirus software, and then performing Windows Update to install the latest version of Internet Explorer. <_<

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I made it to the C:\windows\system prompt but when I typed in copy shdocvw.bak shdocvw.dll it says file not found shdocvw.bak

Any suggestions?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's a longer but alternative fix (shouldn't take more than five miuntes). <_<

1. Turn on the computer and begin pressing the F8 key in one-second intervals. If you complete this step successfully, the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu is displayed. If no menu is displayed and Windows starts up normally, repeat this step.

2. At the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Command prompt only, and then press the ENTER key.

3. At the command prompt, type: edit c:\windows\system.ini. Press ENTER.

4. In the C:\windows\SYSTEM.INI file, locate the line of text under the [boot] section that lists Shell=Explorer.exe. This is typically the third line in the file.

5. Edit the Shell=Explorer.exe line by deleting the Explorer.exe text and replacing it with Winfile.exe. Example: the line should list the following: Shell=Winfile.exe

6. To save the changes, press the ALT+F keys.

7. A menu displays in the upper left corner of the screen. Press the X key to exit.

8. Press ENTER to save the changes and return to the command prompt.

9. At the command prompt, restart the computer by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys. Once Windows has restarted, it starts into the Windows File Manager.

10. In the File Manager window, double-click progra~1 in the left hand window to open the Program Files folder.

11. Double-click intern~1 in the left hand window to open the Internet Explorer folder.

12. Double-click setup in the left hand window to open the Setup folder.

13. In the File Manager window, double-click Setup.exe in the right hand window to launch Internet Explorer setup.

14. In the Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools Setup window, click OK.

15. In the Setup Message dialog box, click Yes to restore the previous version of Internet Explorer.

16. Internet Explorer setup removes components.

17. In the Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools - Restart Windows dialog box, click Restart Windows.

18. When the computer is restarting, begin pressing the F8 key in one-second intervals. If you complete this step successfully, the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu is displayed. If no menu is displayed and Windows starts up normally, repeat this step.

19. At the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Command prompt only, and then press ENTER.

20. At the command prompt, type: edit c:\windows\system.ini. Press ENTER.

21. In the C:\windows\SYSTEM.INI file, locate the line of text under the [boot] section that lists Shell= Winfile.exe. This is typically the third line in the file.

22. Edit the Shell=Winfile.exe line by deleting the Winfile.exe text and replacing it with Explorer.exe. Example: the line should list the following: Shell=Explorer.exe

23. To save the changes, press the ALT+F keys.

24. A menu displays in the upper left corner of the screen. Press the X key to exit.

25. Press ENTER to save the changes and return to the command prompt.

26. At the command prompt, restart the computer by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys

27. Windows starts to a blue screen, but will still be accessing the hard drive for a period of time. When finished, Windows is on the desktop with icons, but an older version of Internet Explorer is installed.

Once back in Windows, the issue may reoccur if the "Virus/spyware found. Do you wish to remove?" or "Do you want to install Spyware Monitor?" dialog box displays again. If you see one of these suspicious dialog boxes, press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys to open the Close Program dialog box. Choose End Task for the entry. Do not click Yes or No, as this may trigger the issue to occur when the computer is restarted. Perform a virus scan, and run Windows Update to install the latest version of Internet Explorer.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
<_<
I don't know how to thank you. I got up this morning and checked to see if you had another suggestion for me to fix my problem. It worked like a charm and everything is running smoothly again. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate that you had the instructions step by step and they were so easy to understand.

This is a wonderful service and out of the different places that I posted, you came up with the best solution enabling me to fix the problem without reinstalling Windows. I appreciated your quick response also. I hope that I don't have any big problems again soon but I'll know where to come if I do. Once again, thank you for your help.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're welcome! :D Thanks for posting your successful resolution, as I'm sure it'll help others. <_<

nin429

nin429

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the exact same problem. The first solution didn't work, so I tried the second. When I try to restore the previous version of IE, I get an error message. (You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 6. Either the uninstall information is missing or the information has been corrupted.) How can I fix this? Thanks!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome nin429 :D

When I try to restore the previous version of IE, I get an error message. (You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 6. Either the uninstall information is missing or the information has been corrupted.)

This is becasue Internet Explorer has not been updated and a previous version of Internet Explorer cannot be restored.

:D Try this:

1. Turn on the computer and begin pressing the F8 key in one-second intervals. If you complete this step successfully, the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu is displayed. If no menu is displayed and Windows starts up normally, repeat this step.

3. At a command prompt type regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll (notice the spaces). Press Enter.

4. Cross your fingers, and restart the computer by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys. <_<

(If this doesn't work I have one other idea...)

nin429

nin429

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help!