Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem With PDF Files

• Please log in to reply

praglen

praglen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a pdf file which the E-mail recipient can't open. She needs to receive it as a Word file. How can I do this, either with my existing system(Windows 7) and software or do I need to downoad - free, I hope - a conversion program?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Adobe Reader is free
http://get.adobe.com.../?promoid=BUIGO

(Note: Have them uncheck the box next to "Free Google Toolbar (optional)")

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I goofed! I have ADOBE 9.0. I forgot the file in question if an efx file(fax converted to E-mail). So I need to convert it, either directly or indurectly, to a Word file. Can you help?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
You'll need OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to attempt to read and capture the text off of an image-type file.

Wikipedia: Optical Character Recognition
http://en.wikipedia....ter_recognition

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I know about OCR software and I'm afraid there aren't any free OCR programs I can download. I'll search, but if someone knows of one or more, I'd appreciate it.

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I downloaded an OCR program, but tried to follow their directions to scan the file. How do I do it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you open the efx file? if you can, download PrimoPDF and then print the efx file to the primopdf printer. this will convert the file to PDF, which she should be able to open fine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.

Using Adobe Reader.

Open the PDF doc.
On the file menu, save as text file, save to desktop.
When you click the file on the desktop it will open as Notepad. It won't have the same formatting as a PDF, but will be readable when you email it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You can convert the efx file on your end using PrimoPDF or CutePDF. These are both free.
You open it on your end, go to File/ print and choose either PrimoPDF or CutePDF.
A window opens asking where you want to save the file. The file will be saved in a PDF format.
Email the recipient the PDF document.
The recipient on the other end can use Adobe reader or PDF Viewer to open the document.