Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Black screen with active pointer

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Got a bit of a problem here, and I want to figure out what it is.

Where I work, We've got a HP Pavilion a1440n that is acting as our server (it's a small business). This morning everyone lost our network connections and when I brought the server out of it's screen saver mode all it had shown was a black screen with the mouse still being active. I didn't try to see if CTRL, ALT, DEL worked. I simply just restarted the computer and it is now running fine again.

What I want to know is what would have caused it to do that.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
As you probably are aware, a particular symptom on a computer can have maybe a dozen possible causes, and if you aren't there to witness it when it actually occurs, that only adds more mystery to the mix. It could have been just about anything that wasn't a permanent fault, ie a temporary 'glitch' in the system.

You might get a clue from the 'System' section of the Event Viewer, although it's output can sometimes be a bit of a mission to make sense of as it's usually in "geek-speak" language. However, I'm sure someone in this forum can assist if you see an error in Event Viewer that you don't fully understand :

Control Panel ---> Administrative Tools ---> Event Viewer

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 14 July 2010 - 02:32 PM.

• 34,114 posts
This may give you more detail I hope.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

• Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply