Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PhotoImpact X3 keeps trying to reinstall - unnecessarily

• Please log in to reply

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a bizarre problem under Windows XP Home on my PC and under Windows 7 on a laptop. Several months ago, I installed Corel/Ulead PhotoImpact X3 (a great program which does much of what PhotoShop can, but for far fewer bucks, and which unfortunately has been killed by Corel, who no longer give any support).
Now, with increasing frequency, every time a new webpage loads in Internet Explorer 8 and every time I install another program using Windows Installer (.msi packages), PhotoImpact X3 tries --quite unnecessarily-- to (re-)install itself. The following message appears:

PhotoImpact X3
Please wait while Windows configures PhotoImpact X3

It doesn't matter whether I cancel or allow the process to finish: the same thing keeps happening for the same two reasons. I'm perplexed -- why are other install processes and IE8 triggering this, and how can I stop it happening? It's driving me nuts! :) Incidentally, PhotoImpact XS is correctly installed and is functioning perfectly.

Should I remove the PhotoImpact installation key from the registry?

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 14 July 2010 - 08:47 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"Should I remove the PhotoImpact installation key from the registry?"

Not unless you want PhotoImpact to stop working or prompting you to re-enter the key.
That will not fix the problem you're having and it puzzles me why you think it might.

However, thoroughly uninstalling it then re-installing may do the trick.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

"Should I remove the PhotoImpact installation key from the registry?"

Not unless you want PhotoImpact to stop working or prompting you to re-enter the key.
That will not fix the problem you're having and it puzzles me why you think it might.

However, thoroughly uninstalling it then re-installing may do the trick.

Cheers, that did the trick! The problem was apparently due to my having removed -- rather than disabled -- Ulead Auto-Detector.