Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power supply shorting

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I am building a new Computer for the first time and am having trouble with the power supply. I have gone through 2 750w and now have bought a 850w which is what i originally but the 750 should have been enough power for what i was building so something is making them stop working. I have not tried the 850w yet because i believe it will just stop working. This is the current build.
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W now CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Intel Core i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Radeon HD 5870
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
This is my first time building. I did put in all of the standoffs. Could it be my motherboard that is making my Power supply to stop working. I have not tried with the 850w Power Supply but the 750w should have been enough power anyway.

Advertisements

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello Friend,
I think this can either corrupt your operating system or could raise some hardware damage. If your pc turns on again, you might be risked at instability of voltage. You can check this with the help of an OCCT test.

Thanks,
James

Computer Repair

Edited by wannabe1, 16 July 2010 - 06:28 PM.
Remove link to pay tech site

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like the system is shorting out due to a stand off in the wrong place. I would suggest bench testing the components outside of the case.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Thank you for the replies. I think i am going to try and take out everything out and just the motherboard. If it does work outside the case does that mean i need to get a new case? or that a standoff is touching something? The standoffs where pretty easy it was 3 by 3 with the mobo.
Thanks for the help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could mean a standoff in the wrong place or it could mean a loose screw causing the shorting out.
If you are completely sure you have no standoffs in the wrong places and everything is tight then you may have short in the mobo. You will know if you take the mobo out and put it on the card board as instructed. If the PSU doesn't work then I would say you better look closely at the mobo for a hairline fracture or a crossed solder point some where.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Can i leave in the processor or do i take that out as well? Where most likely would the fracture be if there is one? and what is a crossed solder point? If I do find one of those i gotta get a replacement for the mobo?
Thanks for the help

Edited by Prominia, 15 July 2010 - 05:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to have the cpu and memory in for the system to post.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok thanks for the help I will do that this weekend and let you know.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Do i Also leave in the Graphics card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you do not have onboard graphics then yes you would need the graphics card.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

what is a crossed solder point? If I do find one of those i gotta get a replacement for the mobo?
Thanks for the help

In production of the M/B sometimes there is a fault where solder will flow too much and make a physical link between one contact and other, basically a short circuit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes if there is a crossed solder point then unless you know someone who is very good at cleaning old solder and resolder the correct places..then your only option is to replace the mobo. :)

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
So everything ran fine when it was outside the case except i couldnt plug in the monitor for some reason it is a Samsung Syncmaster BX2440 which has a blue wire and a white wire and i cant figure out where the blue wire goes. The white one fit nicely into the video card and the evil blue one would not fit anywhere so apparantly i am not finding where it goes. Everything else booted up nicely so i am assuming something was touching something metal. Does anyone know where this blue wire from the monitor goes?