Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on "a:\" prompt at startup

• Please log in to reply

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
i tried to install a new hardrive on my computer by using a bootdisk. I followed instructions which i found online and created the disk. when I tried to use the disk on the computer it wouldn't function how the instructions specified, now im stuck at this start screen.when i boot windows it shows the manufactures logo on screen and then goes to the bootdisk a:\ prompt, if i remove the disk and restart the computer it asks for the diskette to be put in. most commands on the dos screen end up saying invalid or bad command...

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you install Windows yet?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
the computer with the issue did have windows on it, i believe it has windows ME.the problem started when i tried to swap its hard drive

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

i tried to swap its hard drive

Explain, please.

Computer won't boot, if it doesn't have any OS installed.
I mean, it'll boot to a command prompt, like it does in your case.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I had a hard drive that needed to be unlocked? I followed instructions online that required me to create a boot diskette and then add files to it. I attached the hard drive to an ide port in the computer and attempted to complete the unlocking process. When it wouldn't work i removed everything from my computer, but when i restarted it asked for the boot disk to be put in which leads me the the a:\ prompt screen, if the disk is not put in the manufactures logo appears followed by a screen asking for the disk to be inserted..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Why was the drive locked?
Who did it?

I'm rather certain, that advising on unlocking the drive is against this board rules: http://www.geekstogo...boardrules.html

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

However, I believe, it's OK to simply boot from Windows CD, format the drive and install Windows.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
the drive was locked because it was xbox hard drive I just wanted to use for storage.
But I dont care about the hard drive anymore its not worth the trouble, i just wanna get the computer running ok.
Im not sure if I have that version of windows on cd, is there any other way to get around that? I have a windows xp one though..
Also if I need to format that hard drive, is there anyway to get the data off it first?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Also if I need to format that hard drive, is there anyway to get the data off it first?

Now, I'm little bit confused. Which drive are we talking about now?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This is rather confusing but I may have figured it out.

The OP had a xbox hard drive that he wanted to use as a slave drive. It needed to be unlocked.
The OP created a boot disk to do this.

The next step is confusing.
Did you swap the main drive disk with the xbox disk and boot from the floppy? or
Did you place the xbox disk as a slave to the main drive and then boot with the floppy?

Now he has a OS that wont boot and the OP believes it is windows ME.
I suspect that the boot tracks are messed up. It would require a repair install of ME.

As for using a XP cd, that would not be legal if the XP OS is already installed on another computer.

There are ways we can get the data. It would require either a linux live CD, a USB enclosure, or slave to anothe desktop.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

The OP had a xbox hard drive that he wanted to use as a slave drive. It needed to be unlocked.
The OP created a boot disk to do this."

yes thats basically what happened

Did you swap the main drive disk with the xbox disk and boot from the floppy? or
Did you place the xbox disk as a slave to the main drive and then boot with the floppy?

I tried to attach it to a spare ide port while the original hard drive was still in place.

Now he has a OS that wont boot and the OP believes it is windows ME.
I suspect that the boot tracks are messed up. It would require a repair install of ME.

Could it be the problem was that the boot disk i created had the wrong version of windows on it?

As for using a XP cd, that would not be legal if the XP OS is already installed on another computer.
There are ways we can get the data. It would require either a linux live CD, a USB enclosure, or slave to another desktop.

I have a usb hard drive enclosure, but because I have misplaced the original installation cd my first choice would be to try and repair windows, is that possible?