Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

(first layer?) of hard disk cannot remember username/password to FDE o

• Please log in to reply

nada

nada

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

I posted this on the hardware section of the forum because the representative whom I spoke with said it was a malfunction in my laptop's hardware that was causing the problem. The problem is:

I have FDE software running on this computer. I need to login to that before it takes me to windows. The username and password stopped working a few days ago so I called the tech support. They told my username and password were correct, but there was a problem with the first layer or something with my hard disk that caused the software to not remember what was stored or something like that. He recommended that I use Spinrite 6.0 so I gave that a run and it still does not work. I can get into this computer but it is a very tedious process, where I need to get a verification code from a generator the support guy gave me, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or solutions. Thank you very much in advance~

Regards,
Andrew

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Did Spinrite find any errors? If Spinrite was able to complete and reported no problems, then I would tend to believe there is nothing wrong with the drive itself, or the controller. Assuming Spinrite was able to complete and no problems were noted, I think, in spite of what that guy told you, the problem is with that FDE application. If me, I would get into the computer again and backup all your data so you don't lose it. Then remove FDE and try reinstalling it (or re-enable, if integrated into the computer) or maybe even use another version. I would make sure the system is free of malware before using FDE again too.

I have little experience with FDE since I no longer carry around a notebook (not that it is only for notebooks, but that is where it is used primarily, since notebooks are frequently lost or stolen). So hopefully someone else with more experience will come by with some better ideas. I would ask that you reply with some details about your notebook and the FDE solution you are using, or trying to use.

I am bothered by one thing, however. You said tech support verified your username and password. How were they able to do that? Username is one thing, but your password? That would bother me if someone could see my password. Reset it, yes. See, no.

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Thank you for your help! I miswrote one thing. Actually they can't see my password but they helped me reset it to another one as we were trying to figure out the problem.

The tech support, who controls the software from their computer, tried to uninstall the software twice and the computer didn't let us. And I don't think the Spinrite found any problems. The tech support guy told me to try to use it because he said often times there is a particle or dust or something on the hard disk and spinrite helps it get those off or something like that. Would Hijack this log be of any use in this situation?

Thank you for your help!

I will try running spinrite once more

Regards,
Andrew

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, I don't buy the speck of dust story. If there were dust inside, you would be having a lot more problems than this. Spinrite and other diagnostic tool analyze this disks and attempt to repair them if they can. If they can't, they mark those sectors as unavailable or bad so the system will not attempt to write to them. Some will attempt to move any data previously stored in those bad sectors.

You can certainly have your log analyzed by our Malware Removal experts. That is not done here in the Hardware forum so please follow these instructions.